Chapter 4 - Resign

Kyle Denver

I got off the car and Dakota greeted me right away. She gave me my iPad for me to see her reports about the construction site. She started to tell me my schedule for the whole day and we both entered the lift together.

"Set me up a meeting with John Travis tomorrow, tell him that we need to talk." I said to Dakota and she's writing it all down.

"What should I get you for lunch, Mr. Denver?" She asked as we walked out from the lift going towards my office.

"Buy me my favorite steak and don't forget extra mashed potatoes." I said as I entered my office. She followed me towards my desk and my eyes landed on a resignation letter on my desk.

"Anything else, Mr. Denver?" Dakota asked and I picked up the resignation letter. I turned to her and she gulped nervously.

"Who is this from?" I asked as I opened the envelope.

"It's my resignation letter, Mr. Denver." She said and I started to read the letter. I read it fast and my eyes turned back to her.

"Sit down." I said gesturing her to sit on the chair in front of my desk.

"Are you expecting me to let you go tomorrow? Are you crazy?" I asked as I threw the paper in front of her. She looked down avoiding my eye contact.

"What's your reason?" I asked as I supported my head with my hand. I looked at her waiting for her answer.

"Dakota! What is your reason? Or else.. you can't resign."

"I have to move back to LA, my grandpa is really sick. I want to be on his side." She said.

"How much time do you need?" I asked and she looked up to me. She looked confuse and I sat up straight.

"What do you mean, Mr. Denver?"

"How much time do you need to stay on your grandpa's side? 1 month? 2 weeks? 3 weeks? Give me a time frame." I said and she shook her head.

"I will be moving to LA permanently and I won't go back to New York." She answered and I looked at her suspiciously.

"You can't just leave tomorrow! I have to find your replacement and you need to teach her everyth-"

"Edna will be my replacement." She cut me and I looked at her disbelief.

"I'm the boss here!" I smacked the table and she jumped a little bit. She looked at me a little bit scared and I leaned my body closer to her.

"You can quit next month.. after you teach-"

"I can't, Mr. Denver. I can't quit next month.. I have to go back to LA tomorrow." She said in a panic tone. I looked at her confuse and a little bit suspicious.

"Did you commit crime or something?" I asked and she shook her head and hands in front of me.

"No.. no.. I'm getting married." She said out of nowhere and that made me a little surprise. I'm sure that she never dates anyone because she spends her time with me all the time. She's ny secretary and I've never seen her dating or even going out with a guy.

"Married?"

"Did you get cat called?" I asked and she looked at me disbelief. Her jaw dropped and she looked at me completely confuse.

"Did you meet this person on Tinder? Did he ask you to go to LA and marry him? Is he rich? Are you a gold digger?" I asked and she looked at me like she wanted to slap my face.

"Mr. Denver, I might be a secretary but I'm not that low." She said in a cold tone. That was the first time in 9 years that I've heard my secretary giving me a cold tone and murderous look.

"Then why are you suddenly going to get married?" I asked.

"It's a long story and it's my privacy, Mr. Denver. I was hoping that you can understand it. I don't have any other choice, Mr. Denver, and I'm sorry. I know I should be more responsible for this but the situation that I'm in is.. not good." She said as she looked at me in the eyes. I took my cup of latte and sipped it slowly.

"So your grandpa isn't really sick? You're going to LA, just to get married?" I asked and she sighed.

"My grandpa is arrange marriaging me, it's his last wish." She said and I looked at her.. speechless.

"This is the 21st century.. arrange marriage? You've got to be kidding me!" I laughed and she looked at me seriously.

"Do you need anything else, Mr. Denver?" She asked as she got up from her seat.

"No." I gestured her to get out and she walked out from my office. I took her resignation letter and turned my chair towards the window. I read the resignation letter again and again but.. somehow it's strange.

Why is her grandpa wanted to her to get an arrange marriage? Is it just because he's dying and he wants to see her happy first? Weird. I crushed the paper and threw it to the trashbin.

Let her resign besides there's a thousand secretary out there wanting a job and they will be better than Dakota anyway. I turned my chair back towards my desk and I started to continue to work.

As I'm working, I love to stretch my body a little. My eyes landed on Dakota who is on her phone walking around in her office room. She was talking to someone and it's like she's scolding the other person. She ended up throwing her phone to the ground completely pissed. She plopped her body to the sofa inside her office.

What exactly wrong with her?