013 || authority

•••

•••

"There's another job, I think it would be best if only a few of us go this time" Steve announced, fingering through the paperwork in front of him, "the first few days will mostly be recon, scoping the place out and then we'll work out our best plan of attack"
"Are we volunteering or do you already have a team cap?"
"Volunteers are welcome but I did have a team already in mind-"
"I'll go" Natasha shrugged, leaning back in her chair, "I'm up for a fight"
Sam and Steve exchanged a quick glance that did not go unnoticed by me. I began to glare at them, making Sam shift slightly in his seat.
"I think Nat should go" I said, quirking my eyebrow to challenge the two men at the front, "she's a pro at these recon missions"
Nat sent me a proud smile and I sent her a wink back, Clint intertwining our fingers.
"Anyone else?"
"Recon? I'll pass" Pietro grimaced.
Wanda chuckled beside him, nodding in agreement, "you do not want to see him impatient"
"Buck? Marzia?"
"We're good for now"
"Clint?"
"If I'm needed I'll go" he shrugged.
"Okay, so the team will be Sam, myself and Clint" Steve said, closing his folder and exiting the room, Sam closely behind.

"What the fuck?" Nat whispered under her breath.
"Excuse me" I said, standing up quickly and following the two men. They quickly walked into another room, and in my anger I swung the door wide open.
"Are you fucking serious? What are you, three?"
"What?"
"I overheard your conversation the other day and honestly I'm disgusted with you two. Nat has been the most loyal friend I've ever had in my whole life - even the thought of her being a traitor is ridiculous! And just now, not letting her help because of your suspicion?"
"You haven't seen what I've seen-"
"Fuck what you've seen. I don't give a single shit, honestly I don't. You two have been good friends to Clint and I over the years, and I know the whole accords mess has effected you but by acting like this your splitting this group up even more"
I tried steadying my breathing as I finished my rant, my hands literally shaking with rage. Seeing as no one was going to speak, I whipped around and went to leave.
"You're just as bad"
I halted at the door, my hand on the handle. I cocked my head to the side, jaw clicking in anger, as I walked back towards Sam.
"Would you like to say that again?"
"What do you actually do here? You're a housewife-"
"Housewife" I scoffed, "Sam, May I ask you how many times you've been kidnapped/held at gunpoint"
"I was in a war-"
"No, one-on-one"
"Then none but -"
"I have been. Twice. Is that normal for a housewife? I helped with the disaster in Sokovia, I've had to kill people, multiple people. I endured days of torture so that you could find Bucky. I can fight, could probably kick your ass any day of the week, and not to mention I've pushed 3 fucking humans out of my vagina. If you dare insult me or my family again I will not hesitate to hurt you"
Sam just rolled his eyes, though he backed down. Steve was just frowning.
"I used to see y'all as family - but this? This is creating an environment I don't want to be a part of. Turning against each other like fucking cliques in high school, it's pathetic" I spat, "Everyone here followed you Captain. They fought with you. For Bucky. Nat helped you escape, and now you're questioning her integrity? Grow some fucking brains. These people gave up their livelihood, freedom and legal USA citizenship to help you get your best friend back, so be the good man everyone says you are and stop acting like a little girl who just had their candy stolen. You're going to go back in there, let Nat come on this mission, and apologise for your behaviour or so help me god"
Not allowing them to get a word in, I stormed out of the room and into the living room, collapsing on the sofa with a large sigh. I lay there contemplating where everything had gone wrong, and how Steve had become so distant. If I were in a better mood I would've made a joke about it being related to his fast-growing beard but instead I just stared up at the ceiling, still feeling the rage pulsing through my veins.
I couldn't think of a way to fix it.