014 || homesickness

•••

•••

"We've been through so much together, the three of us. I helped him take down SHIELD, I almost got blown up for that. I just don't understand" she said, a frown prominent on her face.
"Tensions are running super high, people are getting antsy" I reassured her, my hand resting on her shoulder, "I'm sure it's all just stress"
"It's just fucking stupid. I should've fought with you - with Clint. I ended up here anyway didn't I?"
"You did what you believed was right, you know we don't blame you for that"
Nat simply sighed, getting up from the sofa to stretch.
"Did they invite you along?"
"Yeah. I'm going but I'm sure as hell sticking with Clint"
"Smart move ... just be careful okay? Bring him and yourself home"
"Your husband's safe with me" she winked.
"Never doubted that for a second"

It ended up taking them 3 whole days to come home, and during that time I had met with Bucky twice in the mornings, had a furious Rock Paper Scissors match with Pietro (Wanda was umpiring whilst Nathanael cheered on the sidelines) which he eventually won, Marzia had taught Lila and Cooper a few words of french and the goats were finally settled in their new environment. Nat came back seemingly happier, though Steve still seemed very much on guard.

•••

"Mum?"
"Yeah Nath?"
"Are we going home soon?"
"Why? do you want to leave?" I asked, picking him up from the floor and placing him on my hip. His little arms wrapped around me, tilting his head to look up at me.
"I miss the house" he frowned.
"I miss my friends" Cooper added, Lila quickly agreeing. I set Nathanael down on his bed, tucking the covers over him and pressing a light kiss to his forehead, repeating my actions with Cooper and Lila.
"We might be leaving soon" I smiled, flicking off the light, "we won't be here forever"

"They want to go home Clint" I sighed, collapsing onto my side of the bed, "Lila and Coops miss their friends"
Clint just hummed, climbing into bed next to me and pulling me against his chest and into his warm embrace.
"We're doing this to keep them safe" he reasoned, his voice muffled as he pressed his lips to the crook of my neck.
"But are they? Steve's becoming unhinged"
Clint went to speak but I hushed him so I could continue talking.
"It's not just me that's seen it. It's the truth. I can't blame him for it, no one can, but I just have a bad feeling. My gut is constantly screaming danger and I don't know why"
"Are you sure it's not a remnant anxiety from the kidnapping-?"
"No Clint. This is different. We as a group don't feel like a family anymore and that breaks my heart. I didn't want it to be like this, I miss Fury. I miss Tony, and Rhodey and Vision - hell I even miss Jess and I've only met her twice!"
I hadn't realised how much I had tensed up until Clint started to run his hands up and down my arms in a soothing motion, easing my body back into a relaxed posture.
"Nothing will happen Grace, I swear we're safe here. If worst comes to worst we can handle ourselves"
"Are you sure?" I asked, turning around so my head could rest on Clint's chest, my legs intertwining with his as I settled into his hold.
"I promise" he whispered, pressing a lingering kiss to my forehead.

•••

The very next morning I had a quick breakfast before diving to the gym. Normally I would've rather died than exercise this early, but Clint's words still echoed around my head. 'We can handle ourselves'. I was admittedly not in my best shape, having lost next to all physical motivation during my healing period. Now though, I was filled with a new energy. A fire had ignited in me and I wasn't going to waste it.
I had been working out for roughly 2 hours when Nat found me, sweat slowly dripping down my back as I repeatedly punched the bag, not turning around as she entered.
"You look like you're trying to kill it"
"Oh good - that was the plan"
"What's this about?"
"I need to be - stronger" I said with a grunt.
Natasha looked at me concerned, before moving closer to me.
"Spar with me"
"What?"
"Spar with me. It's better to hit a moving target"
That's how I ended up in a sparring match with Natasha (which she obviously won) for half an hour.

"Okay I'm done" I wheezed, my back hitting the mat for the fourth time in a row, "gerroff me"
The redhead snickered, releasing her grip on my left arm as she moved her right foot off of my shoulder, offering her hand to help me up. I let out another groan as she lifted me up.
"How do you do that?" I moaned, shaking out the ache in my arm.
"Years of practice" she sniggered, passing me a water bottle that I promptly downed.