Rocks

The next morning, I sat at the officers' table in the mess hall, focused on the pile of paperwork laid out before me. I had made sure to bring the forms I needed to finish for the day with me. I figured if I looked busy, no one would try to make conversation with me. Talking to everyone, especially Levi, was the last thing I wanted this morning.

I took a sip of my coffee, my eyes never leaving the form in front of me, when I felt I tap on my shoulder. I paused my writing and gritted my teeth, turning around slowly to see who needed my attention.

It was Johnson. He stood hesitantly in front of me, his hand still outstretched, as he said, "Sorry to bother you, Corporal...."

I sighed tiredly. "What is it, Johnson?"

He ran a hand through his sandy hair, his blue eyes flicking to the ground at his feet for a brief moment before he met my gaze again. "I have someone with me who wanted to talk to you." He reached down with a hand, and for the first time, I noticed that Mory hid behind his legs, watching me cautiously from the safety of her big brother. He pushed her out from behind him and shoved her toward me gently. "Go on, Mory."

The little girl took a few small steps toward me and then stopped, her eyes unsure as she looked up at me.

I stood up from the table and crouched down in front of her so that we were at eye level with each other. I gave her a small, reassuring smile. "Hello, Mory. It's nice to see you again."

She watched me with wide, crystal blue eyes, her small pink lips pursed thoughtfully, as if deciding whether she dared talk to me or not. She was beautiful, almost like a living porcelain doll. She couldn't have been more than four or five. She had the same sandy colored hair as Johnson that fell down her back in long, gentle waves, and her blue eyes seemed even clearer against her delicate, fair skin.

I held out a hand to her. "Mory, I'm (F/N). We didn't have the chance to get introduced when I first met you."

She hesitated for another brief moment and then placed her small, slender hand into mine, shaking my fingers quickly before she pulled back again. Her lips twitched, as if she wanted to smile, but didn't quite trust me enough yet to do so.

I motioned to Johnson, who stood behind her, watching us, and lowered my voice to a conspiratorial whisper, as if we were sharing a secret with one another that no one else could hear. "Your brother's kind of funny looking, isn't he?"

She giggled and glanced back at Johnson, and then looked back to me. She gave me a bright smile. "He's funny, but he takes care of me."

"Well, that's all that really matters." I returned her smile and glanced over at Johnson, raising an eyebrow at him before I flicked my gaze back to Mory. "He seems like he's a good older brother."

She nodded vigorously. "He is. He lets me sleep in his bed here and plays with me when he has time and he gives me snacks."

Johnson put a hand on her shoulder, leaning down to tease her, "Mory! The snacks were our secret."

She giggled again. "Sorry, brother-san."

He glanced over at me and then said, "Now come on, I'm sure Corporal (L/N) has a lot to do. Tell her what you came to say."

Mory scuffed her foot along the floor for a brief moment and then met my gaze, saying quietly, "Thank you for saving me from the titans." She ducked back behind Johnson as soon as the words were out of her mouth, suddenly shy again.

I stood, straightening my jacket as I did so, and glanced down at her, where she peered up at me through Johnson's legs. I gave her another small smile before saying, "You're welcome, Mory. Although," I raised an eyebrow at Johnson as I held his gaze. "You should really be thanking your brother. He did all of the work."