Advice

Later that day, we rode out into the field behind Wall Maria once again, to finish clearing out the rest of the titans that had infiltrated the area due to the beast titan.

I brought up the rear of the squad, keeping an eye on the ground we had already covered to make sure nothing snuck up on us from behind. Levi rode at the front, Jaeger beside him, as they discussed something I assumed pertained to the day's objective, even though I couldn't hear their conversation.

Miller fell back beside me, pulling her horse even with mine, and glanced over at me. Finally, after a few moments of silence, she spoke. "Corporal? Can I ask you something?"

I didn't look at her as I glanced back over my shoulder, checking the area again. "I guess I can't stop you, Miller. So go ahead."

She was silent again for a brief moment, the only sound the birds calling through the trees around us and the horses' hooves clopping along the packed dirt road. When she spoke again, her voice was hesitant. "But what if it's kind of a personal question?"

I finally met her gaze and raised an eyebrow at her as she blushed and ducked her head. "Miller, I'm not going to lie. I'm not excited about this. And I won't answer any questions about my personal life that you don't need to know."

She flicked her eyes up to mine again, starting slightly as she said in surprise, waving her hands in front of her frantically, "Oh no! It's nothing like that! It's just....." She blushed again slightly. "I need some advice. And you're the closest thing to a mom I have so...." She realized what she had said and clamped her lips shut, horror flickering across her face as her blush deepened on her cheeks.

I kept my face unreadable, but deep down, I was touched by what she had just said to me. I cared about these kids, though I'd never show them, and to know that they looked up to me as...well, a sort of parent figure...made it all worthwhile. The training, the drills, the objectives, the harsh neverending days of killing titans.

"Alright, Miller. What do you need advice on?" In order to save her anymore embarrassment, I let the previous statement drop and drove right to the heart of the matter. We were almost to the marked area for the day anyway, so we needed to hurry this conversation along.

She glanced over at me, seeming stunned for a second that I had actually agreed to help her, and then blurted out, "Thank you, Corporal!"

I waved a hand at her, motioning for her to get on with it, and she nervously clutched her reins in her hands, her knuckles going white as she tightened and loosened her grip a few times, seeming to gather the courage to go on. Finally, not meeting my gaze, she said quietly, "I just wanted to know...how do you know if someone likes you or not?"

I felt surprise flicker quickly across my face at her question, but I quickly hid the emotion and glanced over at her, a slight smile on my lips as I asked, "Do you have a certain person in mind, Miller?"

Without thinking, I watched as her gaze flicked instinctively to Armin, who rode a few horses in front of us, next to Ackerman.

"Miller." As I said her name, she brought her gaze back to me, and must have noticed that I had seen her look to Armin, because she instantly blushed a deep crimson once again. I laughed slightly. "Miller, I'm not going to tell anyone. Your secret is safe with me." I reached over and patted her shoulder lightly with my hand, and when she brought her gaze back up to me again, I gave her an encouraging smile, straightening on my horse again as I did so. "Every relationship is different, Miller. But I think, if when you're with that person, you feel completely happy, and they accept you for who you are, good and bad, then you know there's something there." I glanced over at her again and saw that she was aptly listening to me. "Listen, Miller. Being happy with someone doesn't mean everything's perfect all the time. You'll still go through hell, and sometimes you'll wonder if you're making a mistake. A huge mistake even."