39

chapter thirty nine
florence thompson
song: if you ever wanna be in love - james bay

We ended up eating our meals as we joked around, Vincent declaring that there was a very good reason why he never had McDonald's and would never have it after this. Apparently, he wasn't a fan. I suppose I can't blame him after only eating chicken and fish his whole life, I probably wouldn't like it either.

After we left McDonald's, it was dark out so we decided to head to our motel. When we pulled up I had a pretty good idea as to why it had such low ratings. It was also then that I realized Vincent literally owns hotels. This has got to be the weirdest thing he's done.

It's like being a gourmet chef and getting a meal off the dollar menu at McDonald's.

It makes zero sense.

We checked in and got to our room in no time. When we approached the door, I slid the key into the mechanism before it beeped loudly and unlocked the door. I pushed the door open and held it open for Vincent who was carrying both of our bags before letting it close behind him.

The room was dimly lit, one large bed sat with the headboard against the wall, a TV a few feet away from the end of the bed against the other wall. There was nothing spectacular about it and it was definitely one of the worst ones I've stayed in.

Don't get me wrong, I've stayed in some really nice Motel 6's. This one just definitely doesn't qualify.

Vincent Neurotic De Bellis went through and checked everything from the bed for bed bugs to mold in the bathroom. He thoroughly inspected the room for any signs of something that could be potentially harmful before plopping our bags onto the bed.

"Coast clear?" I asked, looking up to him and plopping down onto the end of the bed, hands in my lap as I looked around the room.

"As clear as it can be..." He trailed off, glancing around the room with his hands on his hips.

"It's not that bad," I offered, looking around also.

Above the chipping paint in places, yellow lighting, and the vague scent of marijuana, all it needed was a little TLC.

God knows it was getting enough THC.

"I'm not sure we're looking at the same room," he sighed, plopping down next to me.

I rolled my eyes before standing up to grab the remote and sitting back down next to Vincent.

"Wanna watch a movie?" I asked, glancing over to him. He shrugged, seeming to neither hate or love the idea. I scrolled through the channels until I found one was playing my favorite movie. "Have you ever seen Dirty Dancing?" I inquired, hopeful of his answer.

He shook his head no.

I gasped before selecting the channel.

"It's my favorite movie," I informed him as a commercial played, pushing myself off of the bed and sliding my shoes off.

"Let's watch it then," he agreed, watching me closely as I smiled at him, pulling my wavy hair up into a ponytail.

"What's your favorite movie?" I asked as I moved towards the bed, opening my pink overnight bag and pulling out my signature oversized maroon hoodie that I brought for bed and a pair of pajama shorts.

"You're going to think I'm stupid," he admitted, making me raise my eyebrows.

"I doubt that," I replied, zipping my bag back up and moving towards the bathroom with my clothes. I leaned against the wall next to the bathroom door and watched him intently.