23. Xia Lian Bei

Xia Lian Bei knew Yin Fang Qi's personality well and the man never told a joke in his entire life. It was his Emperor Brother who was fond of telling puns but this shifu of his did and said whatever was in his heart.

It was a great pardon already that he didn't attack the moment he saw Xia Lian Bei. After all, in Yin Fang Qi's eyes, the prince was part of the reason why his only daughter suffered.

Shai watched as his master walked confidently in the direction of Gao Le princess' courtyard.

The last time they entered this residence, Shai was left alone at the receiving hall while Prince Feng stormed inside.

This attendant just realized that there were still a lot of things he didn't know about his family's master despite being with him for many years.

He first met the unruly little imperial uncle on the latter's first military expedition when he was 15.

Shai was a scrawny nameless 10 year-old slave that was also part of the spoils of war with Zhang country of the west.

He received daily beatings and verbal abuse due to his dark color but one day, a strangely dressed youth on horseback haughtily pointed at him.

"That kid is quite amusing. Serve under this great one for the rest of your life and you can kill whoever does as much as glare at you again!"

The way the youth spoke those words was begging for a beating. But Shai noticed that he too was an abnormality from the rest yet he was still domineering and acted like a local dandy tyrant wherever he went.

Xia Lian Bei baptized him with the blood of the slavers who tormented him and Shai followed him since then.

Without pausing his steps, Xia Lian Bei had a vague idea of what was running inside Shai's mind.

"Heartbroken?" He teased without shame.

Shai just caught his forehead and refused to answer.

"Matters between the Yin clan and ben wang are quite complicated. This prince worried that you, an overly sensitive fool might die early from anxiety."

The exceptional looking right hand man only stared at Xia Lian Bei's back.

'Don't mind this foolish servant at all, master. You should attend the more pressing matters of the heart.' Shai repeated this inside his mind until he felt satisfied.

The moment Xia Lian Bei stepped into Blazing Rain pavilion, all the presence lurking in the shadow scattered in all directions.

Shai pursed his lips. Seriously, Gao Le princess' people were too skillful. They made a perfectly competent vice chief like him lose some of his confidence in their own men.

One of Gao Le princess' maidservants went out to receive Xia Lian Bei.

"Greetings, your Highness Prince Feng."

Xin Ling wasn't as good as concealing her emotions as her sister. So her words came out cold and unwelcoming.

But Xia Lian Bei was unperturbed as he permitted her to rise.

"Stay here." Words directed to Shai but also somehow indirectly involved Xin Ling.

Then, he proceeded to walk with ease towards Gao Le princess' private chambers.

Faced with his master's nonchalant way of invading someone else's home, Shai wanted to apologize on his behalf. Especially when he saw the yatou looking like she'd eaten something bad.

Xia Lian Bei closed the doors softly behind him and sized up the room.

The windows were closed but there were a few lit candles on the table beside the elegantly decorated canopy bed.