Broken Down but Still Alive

Tomura stayed up much longer than Kurogiri and y/n. He rolled the little speakers in his fingers as he thought about all the information he gathered in the past few weeks. Unbeknownst to y/n, he occasionally turned on her voice box and listened in on what her mask could pick up.

He learned listening in was practically useless during the day. Y/n was either sleeping or in another room. During the night, he could hear Twice and y/n looking for new members. He could listen to how much she's improved from Giran and Twice's assistance. The afternoons were infuriating most of all. The mask didn't pick up much of anything. It became increasingly clear to Tomura that y/n didn't spend much time in her room while she was with Twice. She was spending that time with Twice instead.

Tomura compared his observations to how y/n usually is. Y/n habitually spends all day sitting in the corner reading. She doesn't say a word to him unless he talks to her. He recalled that y/n is also much more social towards Giran. Tomura couldn't figure out what was so different. He's been kind to her since the beginning. He saved y/n from her mundane life and freed her from needing to follow society's norms. Compared to everyone else, Tomura has done more for y/n than anyone ever had. So why does she treat him differently?

The villain's head went over everything he's heard over and over like a broken record. He could feel his anger boiling up inside while he tried to connect the dots and figure out what he isn't doing right.

Twice praised y/n quite a bit, Tomura recalled. He thought back to how often he praised y/n. In the beginning, he did it regularly, but once she tried to get help, he stopped doing it as much. He remembered the passage from y/n's terrible romance book he had read. The main character was getting showered with compliments from her love interest. Then Tomura thought about Giran. He wouldn't be surprised if he were also filling y/n's head with garbage. He'd say whatever he needs to if it ended with a business deal.

Tomura didn't like the thought of it, but he felt like he needed to change his strategy. Obviously, RTS wasn't the way to go. He held the little speaker between his middle finger and thumb while he tapped on it with his index finger. A change in my strategy, huh? He contemplated to himself.

Y/n woke up and arched her back. She stretched and let out a yawn before grabbing the stuffed f/a and cuddling it in her arms. Y/n glanced over to the edge of her bed. Part of her expected Tomura to be there. She closed her eyes for a moment, losing her motivation to get out of the warmth of her bed.

Y/n could hear the sound of sharp claws digging into the wooden floor. Reluctantly, she opened her eyes and sat up to face to face with her Nomu. The monster practically had his face in her bag. Y/n pat the beast on the shoulder. "Good morning." Y/n was never sure why she talked to Nobuo, she knew he would never respond.

She glanced over to Tomura, who was still asleep. Y/n pulled the bag away from the monster and dug around inside. She pulled out a small handful of treats she bought explicitly for Nobuo. One by one, y/n handed the monster the jerky in her hand.

Y/n recalled Kurogiri explaining that Nomu doesn't typically eat. He guessed that her Nomu had some sort of defect. Both Tomura and Kurogiri considered sending Nobuo back to fix his fault. Y/n insisted that Nobuo was fine just the way he is. Since y/n stood her ground on the subject, both Kurogiri and Tomura decided to allow Nobuo to stay.

While the monster ate, y/n reached into her bag. She bought another thing for the beast. She held up a dark orange bow tie and a matching ribbon that curled into a loose spiral. Since the creature was distracted with his jerky, she wrapped the bow tie around his neck. Y/n took the matching ribbon and tied it around his forearm.

Y/n tilted her head and smiled at the monster. The bow definitely helped make Nobuo look less intimidating. She patted the beast while giving him one last piece of jerky. She tucked the remaining jerky away as Tomura woke up.