Arc One Ch. 18

Stepping into the small neatly tended courtyard holding a sleeping Kyou, Kira silently observed Emily who was busy weeding a garden bed. It didn't take the young woman long to notice their presence. Turning around her messy appearance could be seen; the sweat that'd gathered at her brow caused the small fly away hairs to frizz up. Wiping her forehead with the back of her hand she got up appearing a bit shocked and flustered.

"Oh sorry I didn't realize you would be bringing Kyou home." The flush on her cheeks turned brighter as she walked over making her embarrassment quite evident.

Kira gave her a simple smile, even if others might hold grudges she didn't place the past in her eyes. "Jun had something important to handle and asked me if I could bring little Kyou home instead." Emily nodded finding the girl hard to understand at times. "He did eat a snack before falling asleep." She added before carefully handing the boy over to his mother.

"Thank you little Moon." Hearing the accursed title of respect she had picked up the polite smile on her face didn't falter as she gave her farewell.

"Have a good evening Emily." Hana called out from the entrance.

Leaving the average hearing range of a shifted wolf Hana looked over at Kira with a deep frown. "You really weren't off doing anything else?" She suddenly asked with a suspicious tone.

"No I really didn't have much luck today in my search, why is there something wrong?" The way she spoke her tone gave nothing away.

Giving a snort that spoke volumes Hana placed her hands onto her hips. "Actually there is and even Grandmother is worried about it."

Kira showed great surprise hearing this as the old she wolf didn't speak of worries that she had herself. "Really?" Hana nodded with a serious expression.

"Hmm she is worried about you." She said carefully without revealing the reason of why.

"Has someone been making inquiries about me?" At this point there were many families that'd learned about her through one manner or another and were trying to set their best males up with her. Which she wasn't interested in the least as it had nothing to do with her mission, while the old she wolf had her own ideas that coincided nicely with her own. So she never felt the need to get personally involved in such muddy water.

Hana slowly shook her head. "No its worse and I noticed it too; you need to be more mindful of your surroundings big sister Kira." Hearing the younger girl worrying after her had her smiling.

Reaching out she touched the top of Hana's sandy brown hair. "I will do my best to be more mindful." While speaking she allowed a bit of power to pass over to the girl that would allow her the ability to clear her mind more easily.

Hana felt this feathery light touch of power that was akin to when singing to the Moon Goddess; glancing secretly over at Kira who held the title of Little Moon and smiled happily while touching her forehead. While silently reaffirming the promise she made to her grandmother about doing her best to properly protect Kira.

"Thank you big sister and I will be heading off now." Hana said with a voice of great respect before excitedly waving goodbye as Kira silently watched the girl run off in a hurried manner.

Walking along the wide hallways a wolf could easily pass through while appreciating the long murals carved into the stone itself before it was stained with color. Many battles were depicted causing many areas to be dyed in deep reds while in between a river of blue over looked by an ever changing moon and those surrounding its form.

Arriving at the chamber owned by her grandmother a strong scent of dust, ink and paper. From inside a sweet yet raspy voice called out for her to come in almost as soon as she made it to the delicately carved entry way. With only a passing glance at the carvings she could make out that it was a pair of phrases though she only managed to see the first one. 'May we never meet as enemies again and always part on friendly terms.'

"You wanted to speak with me Head Elder Hanae." She spoke respectfully with her eyes cast down at her own hands.

The façade of a sweet elderly grandmother quickly fell seeing how distant the girl before her was acting. This grandchild of hers was quite astute at times that it became annoying at times.

"Do you know why I have summoned you today?" She asked using her usual voice that was both cold and hard on the ears.

"You found out much quicker than I had anticipated but I am determined to find out the truth." This time she lifted her head up and looked her elder square in the eye while speaking.

Having lived more years than most Hanae came across many gazes in her time but this little girl who hadn't even went through her first change actually held a challenging gaze that caused her to feel threatened. She let out a deep warning snarl that could only come from an animal. "It's time now for you backed down little one." Though she spoke it came out in a garbled tone that was more intent than actual words.

"No I will not back down from you on this grandmother." Kira spoke clearly and in even tone showing she wasn't cowed into submitting.

In this moment Hanae was reminded greatly of her daughter Karin who had also pulled the same stunt. Without out even coming and asking for permission she put in for a transfer of packs to follow that boy Edwin back to the Pine Wood pack. Though everything seemingly began falling apart on her daughter's end the first bad news came when she found out that Edwin would be leaving within a week and then learning that she was indeed pregnant.

What Karin never expected was that the Healer would tell her mother about it. Hanae was furious when she found out about this small detail her daughter had failed to mention at during that righteous speech made that day. Without delay she put a stop to the transfer, having done more than her fair share of traveling during her younger days she didn't want Karin to suffer as she had in those years.

Five years Karin had waited patiently before coming and telling her mother that she would never speak with her again and that she would never see her granddaughter again.

Making the day little Kira showed with a traveling caravan more than shocking. The little she had known wasn't present in her place was a quiet little thing that was mousy. It took six months for the girl to finally speak up about why her parents had sent her so far away from home alone. After hearing what the little girl said she angrily sent the child off to Kurou who still tried sticking up for that wayward daughter of hers.