Chapter Eighty-One | Third World

[ 81 ]

"This could end badly," Roscoe couldn't help but voice his own concerns as the normal procedures took place, prepping the vehicles for mission. The tension was palpable amongst the new recruits. Most joined in order to learn to defend themselves if the worst was ever to happen, but to hear that they were being plucked from the safety of the walls and being put to use outside; it was a daunting slap of reality.

Skills they had gradually honed over the weeks would be put to the test, but if they failed, they would more than likely lose their lives. Roscoe pitied them, especially those who now wore the similar green uniform. They looked like children on their first day of school wearing oversized uniforms that they were expected to grow into. And what was worse, was the fact that Roscoe and the others were withholding information.

"Top brass can't justify wasting fuel on non-essential operations— so fill two needs with one deed." Niklas revealed, his arms clasped behind his back as he watched what was going on all around. Though he had the exterior of someone who would carry out any and all orders that were thrown his way, Roscoe knew that it was more than likely his friend was feeling the same apprehension. Especially with what they had planned for the next couple of days.

A soldier jogged over with a slip of paper in his hand, "Sir, a list of individuals who have been granted leave." Roscoe took it and read it over. A few had sprained or broken bones from training, others had suffered breakdowns and were struggling to cope; then there was one suffering from an undisclosed leg injury.

Nudging the man beside him, Roscoe handed it over and after a short pause both men shared a look. Nothing else was said, but both experienced soldier's instinctively sought out a few individuals. With the busy movement of everyone loading supplies into vehicles and getting administered with preventative drugs before heading out, it was a struggle to find any person in the crowd.

But as soon as Niklas caught sight of Jakob, he knew Hansel wouldn't be far away. Roscoe spotted him shortly after and watched closely as the young man, whose frame had visibly filled-out over the ruthless training period, slung some duffel-bags into the armoured vehicle nearest to him. The man had previously been swamped with medical work, but not once had he raised a complaint.

From what intel they had gathered, the hospital was actually in remission. They had long since outlined the strain that the hospital was under, with Dr. Aksel sending report after report detailing what was lacking. But since Hansel's involvement, there seemed to be a gradual feeling of stability. Of course some had their suspicions— mostly Niklas who was still kept a close-eye here and then— but it was hard to deny the results that were clear to see.

Previously surrounding the hospital was an air of contempt. This only got worse when supplies began to dwindle, but out of the ashes seemed to develop an organised and stronger front on behalf of the medical staff. Which in itself resulted in everyone else being able to take a big breath and receive the doting attention they subconsciously craved. No longer were a handful of squaddies requested to keep the peace by standing outside with weapons undisguised.

Though advised to remain astute around the man, along with his long-haired loyal puppy of a friend, Roscoe was often entertained by it all. Niklas was so pensive and distrusting for reasons that only a select few were aware of, but they went entirely to waste as the grumbles and glares completely bounced off Hansel. The kid didn't care in the slightest, as demonstrated when Jakob leant on or around him, trying to elicit a reaction. Hansel was a smart guy and he adapted well; but he wasn't very good at hiding his emotions when he was pissed off. To see that blatant honesty, especially in the face of Niklas, who had revealed that he'd been previously scolded, only solidified Roscoe's impression of Hansel.