➵ XXXIX. Fall Of The King

6079 words makes this the longest chapter I've ever written. Enjoy.

Tuesday, February 20th, 2018, 7:15am

Rei's POV

It doesn't take long for Thatcher's rogues to realize they're under attack.

Within a minute, the previously empty clearing is a battlefield. Rogues run out of the pack house, which stands in the center of the clearing, and join in the fight. Growls, snarls, yelps, and screams of pain or anger rise from the battle as the casualties start piling up.

Praying to the Moon Goddess that I don't lose someone close to me, I start cutting down rogues. In a battle like this, the easiest way to tell which side the rogues are on is who they attack. I'm in my human form, if they attack me, I know they're with Thatcher. His rogues also have a slightly different scent, they don't have Chains, and the more feral of them have those bright red eyes.

Using my sage blades, I take down rogue after rogue, the curved blades sinking into body after body as I spin and dodge the wolves, witches and warlocks trying to take me down.

(A/N Yeah, they're Maze's blades from the TV show Lucifer. They're the best ones I could find that I liked.)

I find myself facing three rogues at once, two wolves and a witch with the ability of ice. I guess her power works like my fire, she has to be touching the object she wants to freeze, or the ice has to travel and spread.

I take a swipe at one of the wolves, managing to make a shallow slash in the side of his neck. He growls at me, making me growl right back, my wolf swishing her tail angrily in my mind.

These bitches, Raven growls. Let me at him, Rei. Let me show these fuckers we're not Queen for nothing.

Not yet, I reply, dodging a spear of ice thrown from the witch. You'll get your turn.

"Ha!" Zaine's spiked bat smashes into the back of the witch's head, likely caving in part of her skull. She collapses immediately, body landing on the packed snow, dead. Zaine stands next to her, scowling down at her body, "take that, witch bitch." He starts swinging his bat at the other two wolves, screaming, "you don't fuck with me or my fam!"

While the rogues are distracted dodging the maniac with a bat, I take the chance to sink my blades into their necks, giving them a sharp twist before ripping them out. Their bodies collapse, bleeding out.

Zaine sends me a smile before we both continue fighting, keeping an eye on each other's backs.

We may be in the middle of a battle, but I get a warm sort of feeling at the fact that I'm doing this with the people I care about, my family. The way we have each others' backs, the way we take care of each other. It's comforting.