Ch 9 - The 'Thing' in the Box

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

"I want to know the rest," Henry demanded as soon as they entered her chamber for the night.

Rosannah's heart sank to her knees, she was not in the mood. It was late for one thing, and she had enjoyed her first day back as a Duchess in society well enough not to spoil it with discussions about her mother's cruel hand.

He saw the reluctance in her face and his eyes hardened, "I said we would be discussing it tonight."

"No," she countered, "You said "tomorrow", I took that to mean during the day. Not when we retired for the night. I can think of better things to do in this room," she put her hands on her hips.

"Wife, you should know I do not wish to be trifled with," he said sternly.

She sighed longingly, maintaining his gaze from under her lashes as she looked up coquettishly, "But I do." She bit her lip, "I long to be trifled with."

His eyes flew open at her audacious comment and he could not stop the bark of laughter that erupted from his lips.

Emboldened, she stepped forward and standing on tiptoes, placed her mouth to his. He shifted forward, fractionally lowering his head to aid her. She swept her tongue along his bottom lip from one corner to the other, where she pressed another little kiss. "So much," she breathed, leaning her body against his.

He groaned, "You are impossible," and swept her into his arms, proceeding to give her a passionate kiss that left her breathless.

He tore his lips away, "This doesn't mean I have forgotten. I will not allow you to keep this secret from me," he warned.

"Nor do I want to Henry," she grumbled at the loss of his lips on hers, "but I do not wish to discuss it at night when I have been denied your touch all day."

She pulled his head back down to hers and explored his mouth with her tongue. He sucked on it gently, pulling it deeper into him, causing her to whimper with pleasure. He thrust his fingers into her hair, recklessly scattering all her pins.

"Gray," she tore her mouth from his and begged him to undress her. "I desire no barrier between us in this room," she panted.

He grinned. "Your wish is my command."

They set to each other's clothes, undoing laces and popping buttons with agility.

"We are getting much better at this," she murmured as she deftly removed the last inhibitor, opened his shirt and ran her fingers over the expanse of his chest.

Elation arose as he closed his eyes at her touch along with a snippy satisfaction that she was the only one who had ever done this, whoever the other woman might be.

Much later as they lay entangled together in the sheets she wondered if the mild jealousy she felt over the mystery woman had contributed to her zealousness, she had never been so forward. Not that Henry had seemed upset by it she mused and smiled to herself with fat satisfaction.

A yawn came forth and she nestled her head on his chest delighting that he stayed with her afterwards. That his arms held her close, telling her without words of his deep regard for her.

Although she had to admit she was curious who the mystery woman was and how far their entanglement had developed, it mattered not. She was the one he married, loved. Her lips planted a soft kiss to his warm skin as his heavy breathing alerted her to the fact that he had already fallen asleep. Peace suffused through her and she let herself succumb to the weight pulling her towards unconsciousness.