Chapter 30-Guin-The Other Side of the Glass

Two days into quarantine, and Guin couldn't remember much about her lone adventure. At least, that's what she reiterated to Forster. And to Samuel, and then Tiptree. The only non-curious member of the bunch was Russ.

She came around with food and clothes, but no questions. Guin wondered if the girl would even know what to ask. She'd been a glorified janitor on previous missions. Or so her father's contacts had assured her.

Lunchtime skated by, and Russ showed up at the edge of the particle wall, offering a tray of composite food.

"No thanks, I ate yesterday," Guin said.

Food no longer interested her. She saw little need for it, beyond sustaining necessary functions.

Russ shrugged and picked up the sandwich from the tray, tearing off a large chunk.

She chewed loudly. "What's the green shit?"

Ah, and the last one caved.

Guin sighed. "I don't know what's up with my eyes, I keep telling everyone."

"No, not in your eyes. In here." She flashed the canister, the substance inside undulating, breathing.

No one else had searched her suit. She had expected Forster or Tiptree to find it, but not Russ.

"You must've tested it by now," she edged.

Russ pocketed the cylinder. "Yes, and Genly couldn't figure it. All he assures me is that whatever's in there," she paused, "is most likely also swimmin' around where your baby blues used to be."

Clever little janitor.

"That's correct." Guin grinned widely.

Russ consumed the other part of the sandwich, brow meeting in the middle. "What's it gonna do to you?"

"Not sure," Guin said, which was true.

However, she felt different, complete with a new awareness, but an ever-increasing clouding vision. She kept those bits to herself.

"How did you get it?"

She gave the same answer she'd given the rest: "I extracted it from a plant."

Another truth, however half-true it was.

For a steady pass of moments, Russ assessed her. Guin glued on another grin. The janitor seemed more perceptive, but nothing could break through her newly acquired clarity. Still, Russ held out longer than the others, her stare a series of questions in and of itself. Annoying, but also impressive.

"Can you see through the muck?" was Russ's next question.

"Hmm, mostly."

"Odd that the interface scans aren't picking up much, as though the virus inside of you knows to hide away."

"It's not a virus," Guin said, then stopped.

"Ah, okay, so it's not just messing with your eyes," Russ said, tapping her head.

Guin locked her lips, shaking her head. "I'm fine."

"Fine enough to stay in quarantine."

As soon as Russ departed, Guin tried as hard as she could, and finally willed the particle barrier to dissipate. She didn't plan on escaping. No, quite the opposite.