[02] A FAMILIAR FACE

ii

ii. new friends and old enemies

A FEW DAYS HAD PASSED,  yet Verity couldn't get the clown out of her head.

Listen, you were tired, and your eyes were playing tricks on you. She told herself firmly as she got ready in the morning.

She fixed her hair in the mirror, huffing in exasperation at the flattened side that she had slept on, then smoothed down her shirt. Usual attire for a day out; light blouse tucked into jean shorts, with her trusty chuck taylors on her feet. She picked a scrunchie from the pile on her dresser, and slipped it onto her wrist, before grabbing her camera.

Ready to spend all day out of the house, she had packed a bag filled with snacks, water, and an extra roll of film.
Ever since her brother had died, Verity had desperately tried to keep busy in an effort to distract herself, but it was getting harder with the coming break from school.

She took the stairs in twos and threes, hopping over the banister for good measure, and plucked her keys from the tarnished hook beside the door.

"Going out, sweetheart?" Juliette asked, appearing in the kitchen door, her hands streaked white with flour.

"Yeah, I wanted to take some photos around town." Verity said, noticing how tired her mother looked.

"That's fine darling, just- just be careful." She was wary of Verity going out on her own, and worried that she wouldn't come home one day, just another kid on a missing poster.

"I will mom, don't worry." Verity assured her, kissing her mother on the cheek before taking her leave. "I'll be home before curfew!"

Around noon, Verity had all but forgotten the clown, and had taken some good photos too. She pulled a bottle of water from her bag, and sat under a tree to rest.
Jesus, it's so warm today, she thought, shading her eyes against the bright sun. Maybe I can stop by the Main Street later, take a couple of shots of the- she sat up straight, suddenly alert.
She could have sworn she'd heard someone.

Looking around, she saw that there was no one to be seen.

"Verity.." She heard it again.

"Who's there?" Verity said, hoping she sounded braver than she felt.
Turning slowly, she saw who the voice belonged to. It was her worst nightmare come to life.