twenty seven

•••

•••

Two weeks had passed by, painfully slowly. Every time Ellie looked down at her son she saw him. Everywhere she went she would see his haunting blue eyes gazing back at her, only to realise they obviously weren't his.

Steve, Natasha, Bruce and herself were trying to figure out what or who the small pager was sending a message to. Pepper and Rhodey were also staying in the compound with them, the team still unsure if Tony was alive.

"This is a nightmare." Steve announced solemnly as he stood with Natasha and Ellie, who shifted uncomfortably, as they looked over the statistics.

"I've had better nightmares." Natasha muttered, Ellie placing a comforting hand on her arm.

"Hey!" Rhodes called awkwardly as he walked into the room. "So that thing just stopped doing, whatever the hell it was doing."

"What have we got?" Ellie asked as they walked into where Bruce was observing the machine.

"Whatever signal it was sending finally crapped out." The scientist explained, holding his hand out in the direction of the small flashing box.

"I thought we bypassed the battery?" Steve commented, a confused look painted on his face.

"Oh we did, it's still plugged in it just, just stopped." Rhodey sighed.

"Reboot it. Send the signal again." Ellie suggested with a shrug, her ears pricking up at the sound of her baby beginning to cry.

"We don't even know what this is." Bruce protested, shooting Steve a look.

"Fury did." Natasha defended. "Just do it please, and tell me the second you get a signal. I wanna know exactly who's on the other end of that thing."

Ellie went to leave the room to tend to Harry, but instead collided with a mysterious woman in some sort of suit causing her to let out a startled noise. The woman did not flinch, instead stood staring intently at them, Natasha now also walking towards her.

"Where's fury?" She demanded.

"Who the hell are you?" Natasha retorted.

"Excuse me." Ellie told them, jogging out of the room to go and get Harry who was still crying. She pushed down the handle of her bedroom, walking in and picking Harry up out of his crib, rocking him and grabbing an empty bottle before heading back to where her team were. They were now in the kitchen, in complete silence.

"You can start now." She muttered awkwardly realising that they had waited for her, God how she wished they hadn't. Natasha took Harry out of her arms so that she could make the baby formula.

"My name is Carol Danvers, I won't ask again. Where's fury?"

"He's gone." Steve spoke up, Carols eyes softened slightly and a look of pain momentarily flashed across her face.