Chapter Two

“Just stop working on math and eat,” my mom ordered and set the plate of food in front of me before she sat one in front of Zane. "It is pissing you both off, "I sighed and glared Zane. It was hard to do when you were already mad at the person.

"He's just being an ass today, "I said and started eating. My mom always made some form of pasta dish before games, and most of the time Zane ate with us. Tonight it was stir-fry.

"No, you're being stubborn and not telling me why you're quitting!” I dropped my fork.

"You're quitting?” my dad asked and Carver stared between dad and I nervously.

"No, no, not until next year,” I said blushing slightly.

“What? Why?” my mom asked frowning at me.

“I just… want to…” I whispered and Carver sighed, long and dramatic.

“Maybe if you opened up, you wouldn’t quit.” I glared over at him and Zane exploded.

“This is what I mean! What aren’t you guys telling me?!” He yelled and glared at Carver. “You’re my best friend!”

“It’s not my place to tell,” he said and gave me a pointed look. I sighed.

“I’m not talking about this, Zane. Have Carve show you what to do. Considering he is in the same class with me.” I stood up, but my dad’s voice brought me back down.

“Sit.” I did as he said and he took a deep breath. “Talk.”

“I’m not talking about it. It doesn’t matter,” I said and he frowned at me.

“Did you get someone pregnant?” he questioned softly.

“No!” I yelled and he sighed.

“Did you get in a fight?”

“No! Dad, just drop  it!” I yelled and then felt my heart ache. “I don’t want to talk about it!”

“Hone, you can’t bottle your emotions,” my mom whispered and then Carver stood up and I felt fear rise in me.

“Tell them or I will.”

“Carver, not now! Please, not now!” I yelled and then I felt my voice starting to shake as tears filled my eyes. “You promised you’d wait until I was ready,” I whispered and Carver bit is lip, obviously torn.

“I hate seeing you like this,” he whispered and sat down staring at me.

“And I hate being me!” I yelled and threw my arms up. “God dammit, I’m gay!” I yelled and pushed my chair back. It hit the ground and I walked outside and slammed the door behind me.

Fucking Carver! That little asshole! The door opened and I didn’t turn around. “You’re a jerk. A cold-hearted prick. You promised me you wouldn’t make me tell them and you did. What if they kick me out? What if Zane tells the school, Carver?” I asked my voice full of hate and anger.

I turned around and saw my dad there, standing awkwardly as I said these things to him. “Sorry,” I finally muttered and turned back around.

“Did you really think we’d hate you?” he asked as he came to stand by me.

“No, but—“

“Son, we don’t care if you’re gay!” my dad said sounding exasperated.

“What? You don’t?” I asked, my eyes going wide.

“No!” he laughed and set his hand on my shoulder. “We love you. Your mom is crying so you better apologize,” he added and kissed the top of my head.