■ N I N E ■

■ N I N E ■

Things felt weird as James drove us back home. Not weird like I was uncomfortable, in fact it was the opposite.

I was comfortable, with a man I had been sworn enemies with since the Mareno's had moved next door. The silence in the car wasn't deafening but calming and I couldn't help but lean back and rest my head on the headrest.

"Tired?" James asked softly, just as the music changed.

I nodded, meeting his eyes. "I can wake you up when we get home," he offered.

I shook my head. "If I close my eyes now than the night ends," I replied, our voices low.

James seemed to grip the steering wheel tighter. "Yeah, I understand how that feels," he replied.

I studied him. "Why is it you can be so calm and nice like this but then other times, you're harsh and mean?" I asked, watching him.

James bit his lip before turning to face me. "Because there's only certain people I want to let in," he replied.

"And I'm one?" I asked, lifting my head up.

"You've always been one Christie, I've just been a jerk to you because I didn't want the friendship that had developed when we first met, it freaked me out, how easy it was," he explained.

"I'm glad you're letting me in now," I said softly.

He sighed. "What's wrong? You look like you've been struggling to say something all night," I asked, sitting up properly.

"I don't want to go home, I just want to keep driving, you and me, driving away from this city," he replied.

"James," I said sadly.

"Don't say my name like that," he said, glancing at me. "Please," he added.

His white blonde hair lit up with each passing streetlight, the shadows the flickered across his face, the rain against the glass and the sad music. It felt like we'd shifted to another world.

The hand he wasn't using to steer the car, rested on the gear stick. I found myself reaching my hand across and touching the top of his hand slowly.

James sighed. "I would love more than anything to run away and be free, but I can't, we can't," I said slowly.

His fingers spread and mine entwined with his. What was I doing?

This was James Mareno, the jerk who told everyone telling everyone at the party, he wouldn't do more than kiss me because I was like a little sister to him.

The James Mareno who was the brother of Chase, who I was supposed to be fake dating.

"Do you even know what you do to me?" He whispered.

I frowned. "I wasn't aware I did anything to you?" I asked, feeling confused.

"You didn't, until summer ended," he replied.

I was still confused but I sort of got where he was coming from. "I'm sorry James, I can't," I said, wanting to pull my hand away but not having the srength to.

It felt nice to be wanted.

Pulling into our street, he stopped just a bit from our houses. I turned to look at him.

He slid his hands off the wheel and sat straight. "Everything okay?" I asked.

"I want someone, to laugh at my jokes and to insult me back when I say something to them, I want to hold hands in public, and not worry about cracked nails or some other stupid shit, I want real love, something that lasts forever" he said, closing his eyes.

"Me too," I replied lowering my eyes.

James opened his eyes and turned to look at me. "I want to go on car trips in the rain, going anywhere and nowhere," he said softly.

My heart beat faster. "You'll find someone, James" I said quickly.

"I have found someone, she's just too naive to see anything" he replied gently.

I began to say his name but he leaned over the center console, bringing my hand over so I had to lean forward.

I didn't get a chance to say anything before James pressed a small kiss on the corner of my mouth. "I didn't get a chance to kiss you properly at the party," he whispered, lifting a hand to cup my face.

My eyes closed as James pressed his lips to mine softly. An intimate yet subtle single lip kiss. Lifting my hand, I fisted it lightly into the hair at the crook of his neck. Running my fingers through the soft silkiness.

I jolted as he swiped his tongue over my bottom lip. I had kissed someone, James at that party and Chase at school but nothing this intimate. I had no ides what I was doing so I let James take charge.

And take charge he did.

I didn't know how long we sat in the car, listening to the rain and kissing but it felt like forever and I didn't want to stop anytime soon.

But we had to.

He pulled away gently, tucking a lock of hair behind my ear. My lips felt swollen and sore but I didn't mind. Not at all.

"James," I whispered, unsure how I was going to phrase this.

He shook his head. "I already know, I'm sorry," he said, falling back into his seat.

I looked down at my hands. Slowly, his fingers lifted up my chin, before running his thumb across my bottom lip.

"You're beautiful," he said mostly to himself.

I blushed and looked down, a curtain of hair falling in my face. He pushed it back and leaned forward again. I looked up just in time to see him press a kiss to my forehead.

Something within me warmed and I felt suddenly alone when he let me go. Starting the car again, he drove the extra metres to his house.

He turned the car off again.

"I guess this is goodnight," he said, sounding as if he didn't want to say it.

"Yeah," I said quietly. 

We looked at each other for a long time before the front light switching on startled me. I undid my seatbelt and turned to face James again. "Thanks for the drive," I said, giving him a small smile.

"Anytime," he replied, looking down at his hands.

I opened the car door, slamming it shut as I ran back to my house. I didn't want to get too soaked.

I watched James climb out and walk up to his front door. He looked over at me.

Nothing was ever going to be the same.

A/N

Gah! They kissed!
Is anyone else feeling the immensely loneliness that comes with reading/writing scenes like this.

Like I'm teary.

Don't forget to vote and comment!
Lots of love, from your very depressed author, Tavana xoxoxox