16. Shock to the System

Even with the hum of the clinic outside, the Tick-Tock of the clock chimed in Jo's ears while Chad leaned against the examination bed as the doctor slid the stethoscope across Jo's fairly flat belly and listened intently.

Dr Singh pulled down his stethoscope with a massive grin, "There's definitely a heartbeat. You better start thinking of names."

"Come again."

"You are going to be a mother, Ms Gilligan."

Jo gawked at Chad.

"You're going to be parents," the doctor added.

"I'm her brother." Chad cringed, feeling bile rise in his chest. "Her twin, in fact," he added, shuddering in disgust.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I assumed. We usually get couples coming in," Dr Singh said. "When was your last period?"

Jo shrugged, uncomfortable talking about such in front of Chad. "Maybe a month or two ago?"

"Well, we'll do a blood test and an ultrasound to get you the date."

"She was drinking the other night, doc. Will that harm the baby?" Chad asked. The thought was nagging at him.

"How much are we talking? I mean, any drink is one too many in these situations, if you know what I mean. Alcohol can impair fetal development."

"I didn't know, okay!" Jo bristled in annoyance.

"How often do you drink, Jo?"

She shrugged. "I don't know."

"A glass or two a week?"

"More like a glass or two a day," Chad piped in.

"Will you shut it?" Jo warned.

"Well," the doctor slowly said, "my suggestion and professional advice would be to lay off the alcohol and till that baby is born. I'm guessing you're about two-three months pregnant. The ultrasound and blood test will tell us better."

The doctor handed Jo two print outs for the tests and smiled, abruptly bringing the visit to an end. "Come back when you've done the tests."

Jo rose from her seat. "Thank you," and left the room in a trance.

Back at Jo's, Chad went through her entire kitchen, confiscating all the alcohol he could find, including the ones from her 'secret' stash at the far back corner of her wardrobe, where he knew she usually hid 'emergency' packs should she need them, and because she couldn't walk away from a 'sale'.

"You can't do that," she protested now and then with Chad piling the drinks in her plastic laundry tub.

"I can and I will." He pushed past her, reaching for her stash. "That's my little niece in there and I'm not letting you hurt her by drinking yourself silly because you can't adult or deal with your feelings like a sane person."

"Wow. Judge much?" Jo shouted in frustration. "A little sip won't hurt."

That's when Chad snapped and grabbed her by the shoulders, shaking her till she complained of nausea. He took her by the hand and marched her into her study, turned on her computer and typed her password in, to which Jo complained, "How the hell do you know my password?"

"Because it's been the same since we were fifteen." He placed her on the chair and flipped the screen her way. "Change that stupid password. It's embarrassing. Lucky in love? Really? Which one of us and since when?"

He kissed the top of her head. "I'll check on you later. I have to go home and shower." He left Jo staring at cute faces of babies plastered on her screen and marched out of her house quietly with the laundry basket full of alcohol - back to his problems. He had enough to worry about on his own. What was he to do about his new obsession, June?