10

Time flew by and Christmas was just around the corner, Hagrid had cut an enormous tree for the great hall to be decked out in winter colours

Time flew by and Christmas was just around the corner, Hagrid had cut an enormous tree for the great hall to be decked out in winter colours. The weather began to storm, Hogwarts grounds covered with blankets of white snow.

Eleanor on the other hand was happy to be able to spend Christmas outside of her own home. She watched students pack bags for the holiday, young wizards and witches shout happy Christmas and exchange cheap gifts.

Even Eleanor herself had gotten a few goodies from some lovely students. Some gifts were quite interesting as Neville handed her a small gift wrapped with the daily prophet instead of regular wrapping paper. He always knew how to make her smile nether the less.

"How are you spending your Holiday Professor Adler? I'm off to see my gram, she usually makes gingerbread biscuits and has me hand them to the neighbors. I'm not complaining though, I just don't like Mr Shears, but that's just because he plays the piano in the early morning." Neville ranted on as the two of them walked down the great hall where students said their goodbyes. Eleanor smiles warmly at the young boy with her arms lazily crossed around her white knitted turtle neck sweater.

"Well, I'm sure Mr shears appreciates your grandmothers biscuits, I bet they're just lovely." She stated as Neville nodded in agreement. "And to answer your question, I'm going to stay here, I'd like to keep everyone else company while their family is away."

"What about your family? Aren't you going to see them?" He asked up at her. That question caught her off guard, she felt several eyes look to her at that question such as Harry, Ron and Hermione. They sat at a nearby table behind Neville.

She cleared her throat before giving the young boy a smile, "Oh, Well- Oh! Watch the clock Neville the train is leaving in ten minutes!" She distracted the boy as he began to panic, his two arms lifted his suitcase.

"I've got to go! Happy Christmas Professor Adler!" Neville hugged her before running off to aboard the train. She always thought he was such a nice boy, but she was glad for once he was easy to distract.

It wasn't until a few days before Christmas when Eleanor decided she was going to Hogsmeade to get a few Christmas gifts.

One for Harry of course and might as well get Ron one as he will be spending Christmas alone. Maybe even a few other gifts along the way.

Eleanor went to Honeydukes and picked out a few treats to stuff in some stockings. She wanted to stick to something that was more needed, like a new pair gloves with instant warming pads to keep hands warm even while in the snow.

She smiled at the gift choice for Harry, he had been rubbing his hands from the cold recently.

Eleanor ended up finding herself at a pub not too long after. The three broom sticks served her a regular beer, she used to hate the taste of beer, nowadays she was willing to drink anything to feel numb at the slightest.

She sat at the bar alone, watching the beer absorb the carbon dioxide in her glass.

"Eleanor?" Said a very familiar voice, it was almost haunting.

Shs turned around with percosuion seeing the face of Thomas King, her ex husbands brother or shall she say her ex brother-in-law.

He had a huge grin on his face. "My God it really is you, still paranoid?" The man stood 5'8, dark eyes and a charming dark beard that went along with his short curls that scattered over his head.

"I'm not paranoid, I'm just in shock. Wow... um, hi!" Eleanor wasn't expecting Thomas's arms to wrap around her for a hug.

"It's good to see you out and about, you look amazing! Not that you never did." He had been oblivious to the awkward tension and an  uncomfortable Eleanor nodding her head. "So, What brings you to Hogsmeade?" He took a seat next to her ordering the bartender for a fire whiskey on ice.

Her eyebrows raised at his rudeness of inviting himself to sit with her. Ted used to say that his brother was a drunk man half the time in his life, she wondered if it was still true as Thomas was an expert at shooting the whiskey down his throat and let out a tangy cough at the end.

"I'm just Christmas shopping, what about you Thomas?" She asked him, but at the same time not really wanting to ask him.

He let out a slight burp and coughed, that must have been the fire whiskey kicking in. "I- I just came back from the bank. Bloody goblins are nasty creatures to deal with during the packed holidays." He mentioned looking down at the floor. "You look like you're doing really well. I'm glad." He said, "He'd be glad too."

"He'd?" She questioned sipping her glass

"Theodore of course! He is such a bloody bitch." Thomas mocked what seemed to be Ted's crying face. "I miss her blah blah waaahh." Thomas looked to Eleanor who's face was stoned and confused at the thought of Ted crying over her, confused because he was the one who left. He left her stranded until months later when she got divorce papers. "Hey, are you going to finish that?" He pointed to the beer that was sat in front of her. That answered Eleanors question from earlier as she slid the drink over to the man that clapped his hands like a toddler getting candy. Thomas finished the drink rather quickly.

Her hazel eyes sparkled with tears, she always tried to forget about Ted, but deep down she still missed him and she hated to admit it.

She cleared her throat, "How is he?" This was honestly the only question she wanted to ask him.

Thomas shrugged, "The same. He lives in London now, still works at the bank. He has a girlfriend now, but she's nothing special compared to you. His health is a different story though, he used to smoke, but not as bad as he does now."

"Oh, well good for him..." She says, "I mean for him moving on."

"Just because he moved on doesn't mean he's happy." Thomas said before asking the bartender for another drink.

Eleanor excused herself and claimed she had people to meet when in reality she wanted to just get back to Hogwarts and lock herself away.

"What's with you?" Snape asked two days later after he noticed how distant she had been. She was standing alone watching the kids throw snowballs across the court yard.

"Nothing." Eleanor shook her head, but Severus didn't continue on walking as he approached beside her to look at the same view.

"Usually," he began in a soft voice, "When someone says nothing is wrong, something is."

Her gaze fixed up at him for a split moment, she didn't expect to make eye contact with him, but he had already been staring down at her carefully.

She turned her attention back quickly. "I know."

Severus slowly nods, taking in the silence of the castle as he awaited for the right words to say but came up with nothing.

There was nothing to be said.

Just the quiet.