Chapter 16 - What would you choose?

(July, 17-23)

Arnav was back 10 days later.

Khushi had texted him all this while only to be met by 1 word replies like- yes, okay, thanks, fine and so on. At first she tried to take it in a stride, to be the understanding girlfriend who could give space to her guy when needed but slowly, the charade had gotten to her.

She had always been open and upfront in her interactions. This tiptoeing around had started to irk her. However she didn't want to pester him over texts, so she waited for him to return.

She came to his office on Monday morning with two cups of cappuccino.

She placed the coffee on his table and chirped, "Good morning!"

He was sitting on his leather chair, with a file on his lap. When his eyes rose to meet her, she felt something amiss. Usually there would be a twinkle in his eyes when he saw her. Today, they were bereft of any spark.

"So," she shook off the uneasy feeling, "What was the work emergency?"

"It's all taken care of," he answered, getting back on the file.

Khushi walked over to him and grabbed the file from his hands. She placed it on the table and bent down to look at him.

"Arnav, what is it?" she asked, concerned.

He stood up and walked past her, to the window overlooking the city skyline.

"If you had to choose between your work and me- what would you choose?" he asked, with his back to her.

"Erm... What?"

He turned around to face her, "Magnolia or me? What would it be?"

Khushi let out a nervous chuckle, "I... I.... er... what are you asking?"

"It's a simple question, Khushi," his eyes bore into hers.

"I..." she stammered, "Where is this coming from? Why do I have to choose?"

Arnav shrugged his shoulders. "Hypothetically."

She took a moment. "Well... Magnolia is my life. All my hard work, my struggles, my dreams, my tears, I've put everything in it-."

"And you just met me, a few months ago," Arnav interrupted her. "Sure we like each other, but you love your company. I would understand if you don't choose me." He paused before continuing, "Will you offer me the same courtesy?"

"Let me get this straight," she tried wrapping her mind around his question. "Are you saying you are faced with a scenario where you have to choose between me and your work?"

Arnav didn't respond.

"And..." she continued unsurely, "You want to choose your company. Over me. And you think it's justified because you expect me to make the same choice?"

"Well you did say Magnolia is your life," he pointed out.

"And you interrupted me before I could finish," she stated.

He raised his eyes to look at her.

Khushi took a deep breath. "Arnav, You... You bring out feelings in me that I have never experienced, maybe in a long time... You make me feel alive... Many a times, I have found myself thinking a future for us and that is a big step for me because for years I have only focused on work."

That caught him by surprise. "Khushi," he began to speak when she cut him in, "I don't just like you. Everyday I find myself falling for you... I don't know if it's love... If that's what love is..."