thirty one

•••

•••

5 YEARS LATER

Ellie sat at the table watching out of the corner of her eye as Natasha made herself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, whilst Rocket gave the women a status update.

"Yeah, we boarded that highly suspected warship that Danvers pinged."

"It was an infectious garbage scowl." Nebula added.

"So, thanks for the hot tip." Carol just replied to Rockets comment with a smirk.

"Well, you were closer." The space woman shrugged.

"Yeah. And we smell like garbage."

Natasha sighed, ignoring the bickering before turning to Okoye, "You get a reading on those tremors?"

"It was a mild subduction under the African plate." She answered.

"Do we have a visual? How are we handling it?" Nat asked.

"Natasha, it's an earthquake under the ocean. We handle it by not handling it." Ellie told her sympathetically. The last five years has been rough on the two of them, Natalia had thrown herself into work, she'd spent those years keeping track of everything in the world and helping Ellie raise the kids.

"Carol, are we seeing you here next month?" Natasha asked, throwing Ellie a look.

"Not likely." She shook her head.

"What, you gonna get a new haircut?" Rocket questioned sarcastically as he realised that she had got a new haircut.

"Listen fur-face, I'm covering a lot of territory. The things that are happening on Earth, are happening everywhere, on thousands of planets." She answered, irritatedly.

Rocket murmured to himself, "You got a point, you got a point."

"So you might not see me for a long time."

"That's a shame, Tal misses you." Ellie commented to Carol, who gave her a sad smile.

"Alright. Uh, well. This channel is always active. So, anything goes sideways... anyone's making trouble where they shouldn't... comes through us." Natasha said awkwardly.

"Okay." Rocket answered, as one by one the avengers ended their phone call.

Everyone had gone offline except for Rhodes, Nat sighed exhaustedly, and sat down, as she noticed Rhodes still online in the call.