Chapter Eight

Akito Sohma was born female, the child of the head of the Sohma family, Akira Sohma, and a maid in the Main House, Ren Sohma. Upon discovering her child would be female, Ren demanded that Akito be raised male out of fear that a female child would steal her place in Akira's heart. Akito was feared and respected by many of the Sohma clan.

Akito is possessed of the Zodiac's God-Spirit, forcing all the cursed Sohmas to obey her every word, no matter what. After Yuki left the Main House to live with Shigure, Akito's mother, Ren, commented that the cursed Sohmas were abandoning Akito, just as Ren always predicted they would. Akito denied this and claimed they would all come back to her because of their inseparable Zodiac bonds. She and Ren made a dare in which Akito was to allow the cursed Sohmas to form bonds with "outsiders" to test whether they would return to Akito's side. If they did not return, Akito would have to bow before Ren then leave the Sohma family.

She could never let Shigure leave. Unfortunately, it seemed the test was going all wrong. His relationship was growing stronger and he hadn't visited her in a long time. She couldn't lose.

***

Amai had just finished work and she couldn't wait to get back home to Shigure. He said that he had a surprise for her since it was her birthday and she was curious to know what it was. The library wasn't too far from home, only a ten minute walk. However, just as she was about to cross the road in front of the library, a black car suddenly pulled up and and parked in front of her. She was annoyed at the driver for speeding in front of her and she was glad that she hadn't stepped out.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" she yelled at the driver behind the black tinted windows.

Getting no response, she sighed in frustration and went to walk around the car. But the back window of the car rolled down to reveal what Amai assumed was a boy around her age. They had short black hair and grey eyes.

"Hello, I apologise for my driver."

The person had quite a female sounding voice but Amai still couldn't tell if they were a boy or a girl. She simply smiled in return.

"It's okay," she said before turning to leave.
"Excuse me."
Amai turned back. "Yes?"
"By any chance, is your name Amai?"
She was surprised but tried not to show it. "I'm sorry but who are you?"
The person smiled lightly. "I asked first. It's common courtesy for you to answer my question before I answer yours."
"Yes, my name is Amai. Who are you?" she asked again.
"I'm Akito."
Amai's eyes widened. "You're Akito Sohma?"
"Yes. It's nice to finally meet you, Amai."
"And you," she said with a polite smile. "I'm sorry, I wish I could stay longer but I have to get going now."
"I won't be long. I just wanted to speak with you quickly."

Amai didn't know what to do. She recalled when Shigure first told her about the curse and what to do if Akito ever wanted to speak to her alone.

"I need you to promise me that if Akito ever wants to speak to you alone, you will call me first. Promise me."

She knew she had to call him. Luckily, her phone was still in her hand because she had just spoken to Shigure to let him know that she was on her way home. She didn't even have to look as she dialled his number again, keeping it hidden so that Akito couldn't see.

"Amai?" Akito called. "I can give you a lift home."
Amai jumped slightly but played it off. "Oh. No, it's fine. I don't live too far," she said as she quickly ended the call before Shigure could answer. "In fact, I forgot to discuss some things with my manager so I have to go back in. Thank you though."
Akito smiled. "I understand. I hope we get to meet again soon."
Amai nodded. "Me too."

Akito rolled up the window again and the car drove away. Amai watched the car leave before releasing a huge sigh of relief. Seconds later, her phone began to ring making her jump again. Looking down at her phone, she saw Shigure's name so she quickly answered it.