20: Bow Your Heads

"Why hasn't she responded?" Adam leaned his elbows on his kitchen counter, sipping on the very cup of coffee he wish he could be sharing with Ni'Ky—Ky right now.

He knew she was angry, he could see the stream of messages Christian was sending her, trying to apologize. He wished he could've heard the phone call, but the program only works in between calls, not during so he was deprived the pleasure of listening in.

He perked up once he saw the text bubbles pop up, hoping and praying she'd say yes....

Ni'Kya:
Sorry. Maybe next time 😅

His heart sank. Why? Why did she turn him down? They ALWAYS got coffee together, it had become their thing.

Adam:
Oh, okay. Sure. No problem 😊

His eye twitched with irritation when he pressed send. He sighed, and finished up his cup and began to put another. He sat at his counter bar stool and let the warm liquid coat his throat.

He hated this.

He told himself he should continue on with the rest of his plans for the day and not let this minor setback disturb him as he rose to finish getting ready for the day.

Why was he like this?

Sure Ky was beautiful, but so were many other women in Atlanta. What was it about her that had him so.....stuck? He himself didn't quite have the answer, but he knew he wanted her.

He put on a generic black & white Nike graphic tee, dark grey joggers trimmed in black, and a pair of black and white Air Jordan 11 Concords and made his way to the outside world on this lovely Saturday afternoon.

The sun shone just bright enough to peak through the clouds accompanied by a cool breeze, but he had the windows rolled up, deep in though as he traveled up 285 to Lenox.

After wondering in the parking lot for 15 min, he finally found a parking space behind the food court, hopping out with a few glances in his direction from female passersby as he strolled to the sliding door. It was busy as always on a Saturday, fifty percent shopping and the remainder just trying to be seen.

Sickening.

He hated the crowds of people, walking slow, standing in the middle of the walk way, bumping you without saying excuse me. It all made him livid, but he had two things to do here before he could escape.

He had to pick up something from The Body Shop for his mom and the other...

"Hermano!" A slender young man, dressed in an blue T-shirt with the Apple logo was barreling towards him at lightening speed.

"Max, no. No. NO. Max!" But it was too late. The 18 year old had tackled his older brother, sending both flying to the hard floor.

"Mom didn't say you were picking me up today." The two males were in a questionable position as the younger practically startled the older gentleman, gaining a few odd looks.

"Max, get off me." Adam's face was stern, his mouth tight and cheeks flushed red from embarrassment.

"Oh. My bad." Max rose from the ground, helping his older brother up as he dusted himself off, "I'm sorry. It's just, you haven't been by to see us in a while."

He ruffled the young man's dark brown hair and gave a sweet smile, "I know bud. I'm sorry. Work has me tied up lately."

The two made their way to the store to grab a few items for their mother, "Mom keeps thinking it's a girl and has worked herself up since you haven't introduced her."