16: Consideration

"Josie, I'm begging you," I plead with my manager. "Kick them out!"

"And why would I kick out perfectly good customers?" Josie asks, crossing her arms over her chest. From her short height she watches me with a barely withheld smile.

I glance behind me and over the counter, looking at the four teenagers sitting in a small booth against the opposite wall. Alex looks up from his textbook to me and smiles a dazzling smile, waving his hand a little. A blush creeps up my neck but I fight it down as I turn away quickly with a scowl. Josie watches me with a smug expression, knowing that I had no good reason.

I sigh irritatedly as I turn away, returning to my job. Those four have been hovering over me like flies on honey! After my 'detention' with Mr. Wiser yesterday, they followed me to my job at the Sleepless Cafe and almost stayed there for my whole shift. At first, I let them be so they can be assured that I was fine. Now, after they show up again today? I'm getting irritated.

A phone dings in the relative quiet of the cafe, bringing my attention to the table the four troublemakers sat. Matthew pulls his phone out of his pocket, reading what was on the screen before relaying a message to the others. Rosie and Josh begin to pack their homework and books away into their bags along with Matthew. I sigh to myself. Maybe they'll leave early today.

All four of them stand up from the booth, but only Alex didn't grab his bag. In fact, he only walks with Josh and the twins to the door to see them out. Rosie catches me watching and smiles, waving in goodbye. I pause for a moment before deciding to wave back to her, turning around quickly as my cheeks flush with the embarrassment of being caught.

"Working hard, yes?"

I turn around and see Alex's smug grin as he carelessly leans on the counter. I bite back on my retort as Josie walks behind me, kicking my shin in warning. Instead, I plaster a forced smile on. "Would you like anything else today?" I grit out, clenching my hand behind my back.

Alex smirks before leaning closer. "Frappe chino, just cream and,"  his smirk get's wider, more mischievous, "perhaps some of your time?" I stare blankly at him.

Did... the sheriff's son just openly flirt with me at my job...?

No; did Alexander Chris Dawson, the town's golden boy, just flirt with me?

"You..." I couldn't talk. A blush creeps up my neck, staining my cheeks and the tips of my ears. I huff, frowning. "If you will, please don't distract me from my job," I say curtly, turning around to prepare his drink. "Your coffee will be with you shortly."

I hear him shuffle away after a moment, though I can't bring myself to look over at him. If he knew that his simple flirt managed to get so close to me, then I can't imagine what he might start. I pick a cup off the stack and uncap the marker, writing the words 'Car Stalker' in the place of Alex's name before continuing to make his drink all the while smirking. I know that it is petty of me, but passive aggressiveness is my trademark.

"Alex," I call out, setting the drink on the counter. I make sure to turn the name side of the drink away from him so he wouldn't see it until after he sits back down. I don't bother waiting to see if he got his drink and turn to help the next customer. After about five minutes, nothing happens and I slowly forget about my petty revenge.

An hour turns into two as the sky begins to change. Alex hasn't moved from his spot at the table, though he isn't shy when I catch him watching me. Josie glances at the clock. "It's half past six," she states patting my shoulder. "Your shift is over, North. Go head back and get going."

I hum in acknowledgement and finish up with my current customer. Heading into the changing room, I open my locker and hang up my apron before switching my white button up uniform shirt for my T-shirt.