[Act 1] Chapter 10: Battle on the Outside

Motionless as a statue, Mordred looked below at the sight he was seeing. Beyond the rear of his army right to the gate of Guinevere, greenish-yellow clouds were set upon his army. Half of his men were not in sight, not even the ogres made it above the cloud. Whatever the Grey Ones have conjured up with their magic, it was certainly doing its jobs.

Reports of the Grey Ones didn't fly past Emperor Mordred as it seemed that these men possessed sorcery that can destroy an entire army while rumoured to be outnumbered 40 to 1

Reports of the Grey Ones didn't fly past Emperor Mordred as it seemed that these men possessed sorcery that can destroy an entire army while rumoured to be outnumbered 40 to 1. If the Grey Ones were truly magicians, then it seemed like they had more power in conjuration than the entire Holy State of Magic - or perhaps even every magician combined - to bring forth a cloud that didn't even reach the sky.

Even from his high vantage point, Mordred saw a fraction of his army was consumed by the large amounts of fog. When the clouds were settled, he saw only half of his men were standing, the ones that weren't attacked by the clouds. In just a few minutes, it became clear that he already lost half his army, causing his hands to shake in terror at what the foreign men have brought upon his army with the only thing keeping him safe from danger was the giant black serpent underneath him.

"W-What is this." Mordred trembled, halting his dragon's flight pattern and remaining hovering in the sky. From what he is seeing, not even the amount of black powder the dwarves granted them would be enough to stop what the Grey Ones had in store for his army. "What happened to my army? What kind of sorcery is this?"

...

Mustard gas, the ultimate weapon of ruthlessness. A highly effective weapon that gives its breather a slow and painful death. Used and perfected by every army during the Great War, it was something that no man who wears armour and fights with a sword could even think of. The ideal weapon to use if no one wanted to waste any ammunition. Monsterous but necessary if one needs to end a battle quickly. A war crime, but who hasn't committed a war crime in the Wehrmacht since recruiting Nazis?

Upon seeing the damage the gas had done, Werner looked on with a sense of fear at what he had done. Some of the men consumed by the gas weren't even dead yet, choking on their own lungs or trying to peel off their burning flesh. It has been rumoured, but not confirmed, that Werner's people were going to suffer the same fate if not for the war that ended the perpetrators, but not all who thought of committing the crime was behind bars, some were working with him in the same division.

Turning around, Werner eyed the elven girls behind him. Even with their faces concealed by the gas mask, he could see by their stance that they are terrified, probably more than the unexpecting victims during the Great War, except these were women of a completely different world who couldn't possibly imagine a weapon so devastating be unleashed on a foreign army.

"W-W-What was that!?" Cara asked, her voice filled with dread, removing her mask when the gas cleared up. "You made their faces peel off . . . with air? That is . . . monstrous!"