Epilogue

Epilogue

Her death was felt throughout the universe, even by those who never knew her, somehow they felt it; as if something they never had was missing. Aria's sacrifice had saved them all, and they didn't even know it. She was gone, but her memory would live on in those she left behind, who would mourn in their own way. Tony would save her a seat at his wedding, Steve would refuse to beat the score she set at Tetris, the only game he ever spared the time to play, and her parents would bury an empty casket with a grave stone that would bear the words:

Aria Stone

1996 - ∞

A Daughter. An Avenger. A Guardian. An Infinite Hero

Her funeral was paid in full, though no one could figure out where the money had come from, and no one would fess up, not that anyone cared really. The day of the burial, it rained, as if the skies themselves were weeping, and the sun didn't shine for the next week. Those in attendance were the Gaurdians, the Avengers with extended family, Asgardians, T'challa with his family and Okoye, Chloe, Avery, Marley, Jami, and Dahlia, and Aria's parents. Nick Fury and Hill even made an appearance to pay their respects. Strange and Wong were the last to arrive.

" She showed us a another future." Tony said and several people looked over at him. " Compared to this, I'd rather have that future." He walked away before anyone could respond.

" The author would say, but that's a spoiler for those who haven't seen the next movie." A voice said and several people looked around in confusion before spotting a guy in a red mask with black eyes. He seemed to realize what he had said and glanced around before shrugging. " What?" He questioned. " Oh, it seems the author forgot to type in an introduction for me, names Deadpool."

Avery approached the headstone and leaned down so that Marley could drop a flower over where the casket was buried, tears in her blue eyes. She buried her head back in his chest and they rejoined the crowd, quickly being replaced by Jami who held a piece of paper in her hands. " I...I found this in Aria's things. It's a poem. She said she really liked it, and I think it...um, fits this." She said, swallowing the lump in her throat, before she began to read.

Do not Stand at my grave and weep;

I am not there. I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.

I am the diamond glints on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.

I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush

I am the swift uplifting rush

Of quiet birds in circled flight.

I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry;

I am not there. I did not die.

Jami backed away as she broke off and Dahlia wrapped an arm around her, as she started to fall apart. " Aria...lives on in all of us." Dahlia agreed, and Chloe took her hand from where she next to Loki and Thor.

Then, for just a moment, the rain stopped, and light shined down on them.

Several years later...

" Aunt Aria sounds so brave." A little girl with dark blonde-brown hair and grey eyes said, and an older women with graying brown hair and blue eyes smiled at her. " Yes. She was."

" But, why did she have to die? The infinity stones were safe."

" That is true, but so long as they existed, her friends would never be. She did what she felt was right for them. She knew they would be sad to see her go, but the alternative was much worse, and destiny could not be changed."

" I think I understand." The little girl muttered, and the women nodded, before they both looked over as a women with blonde hair and blue eyes appeared on the porch above them. " Aria, lunch is ready."

" Ok, mom." The little girl responded getting up, before turning to the women. " Thank you for telling me the story, Aunt Marley."

" Any time, child, now run along."

A dark haired man walked over to her as the little girl ran off, and she took his hand with a sigh. " She's so much like her, Avery." The women said. 

" But she's not her." He reminded, and Marley nodded. " No, she's not. Aria wasn't as mischievous."

" Well, that's her father's doing." Avery said laughing, and Marley joined in a moment later.

Peace had come to Earth and to the Universe, at last.

The End

Thank you for reading :)

Something I like to do when finishing a story is answer a few possible questions:

Chloe, Marley, Avery, Jami, and Dahlia did not waste the life that Aria gave them. Each, in their own way, made the most of it. The five of them, in their own time, graduated from college and began their own lives.

Chloe married Loki several years after Aria's death, and had a daughter who they named in her honor. The two of them now live just down the street from the homes where Aria grew up.

Dahlia, wishing to honor Aria in her own way, opened a dance studio and home for girls.

Jami went on to teach music at the school where Aria spent the days of her childhood.

Avery, keeping his promise to Aria, looked after Marley and the others. Avery eventually even found love with a young man named Grant Hinders. The two of them are now happily married.

As for Marley, she went on to be a lead engineer and scientist. Lecturing on the weekends. She passes on the story of Aria to her niece.

Though the link between them is gone, the five of them remained close even years after Aria's sacrifice. They gather at Aria's grave every year in her memory.

Steve Rogers never acted on his feelings for Aria, not just because he thought they were to far apart in age, but because he feared that Aria would never return them. What he didn't know, was that Aria did; she knew the moment they stood on that balcony together, but she held the same fears that plagued Steve. 

My inspiration for this story actually came to me while watching the movie Split, and had a completely different ending. My friend was the one who convinced me to end it this way, and I actually think it's much better like this.

Want to learn more about Aria and the group? Check out my OC Book.

Have more questions? Check out my question book, comment, or send me a message.

Until next time,

 - ElizabethUnderwood7