33 - D'ARTAGNAN MUST DIE

Coloured ink smudged Daisy Lonsdale's skin; blues and reds, the colours of her soul. Her sketchbook painted a different picture though, a drawing of a monster she had faced last year, a monster that still haunted her dreams. A monster, that very well could have returned to Hawkins.

After the dinner disaster, Steve Harrington had been politely asked to leave, along with Fredrick Lonsdale, who had given his nosey granddaughter a concerning look before promising to pick the three of them up for a little excursion to Hawkins Labs tomorrow evening. Where apparently, he would show them something that would help explain everything. Something strange and very, very troubling. Once the dinner table had been cleared that night, a chilling silence filled the household and each person found solitude.

Daisy had retreated to her bedroom and her sketchbook, filling her mind with a familiar numbness that art always seemed to bring for her. Her mother and aunt had found a common ground in the living room; Beatrice dosing off in her rocking chair and Molly keeping her hands busy with idle laundry that needed folding. Duncan had found himself in the garage with an old boom box that he had found covered in dust. He slipped on his rollerblades with ease, he was slowly improving. With the heavy beat of Blue Jean by David Bowie, Duncan skated around and around on the concrete. Marigold, who never was able to find just one thing to calm her down, climbed down the drainpipe and stalked through the shadows to a boy waiting in his car, tapping his fingertips to the music as smoke billowed around him.

That night, a quiet and seemingly normal night in November, was just another night to add to the growing list of strange nights for the Lonsdale family.

***

Micky Fields was awake late that following morning, but his was heart ready for adventure with his party as trouble was looming on the horizon and the weekend was just beginning. Even though he could not talk about it out loud, in fear the bad men from last year would drag him off to jail or worse, put a bullet in his chest, he was ready for whatever they would face. At lunch, he chewed loudly around his turkey sandwich and his sister glared at him.

"You're up to something, aren't you?" Dottie demanded. "You and your little party."

Micky shook his head innocently. "I've got no clue what you're talking about."

Dottie had spent most of last night combing through Butterball's coat, shushing her dog to sleep and watching the woods out the back windows of the house. She did not like to admit it, but she was scared shitless. She hated how everything in town was now riddled with horrible monsters and secrets she couldn't tell a soul, not even her parents. Dottie Fields hated been scared and useless and she couldn't help but wonder how Will Byers felt, if she felt this terrible.

"Are you visiting Will today?" Dottie questioned, sipping on her apple juice. Her father was already out for work despite it being the weekend and her mother was busy running errands, which meant it was just the children in the house today. "Because I want to come with."

Her brother stared at her, bread falling from his mouth. "That's not happening."

"Why not?"

"Because you're not in the party," Micky grumbled.

Dottie rolled her eyes. She was very sick and tired of all the party drama that came with the children that always seemed to find themselves in trouble. She had helped save their behinds last year and they still wanted to throw around that little fact she wasn't technically in the circle of friends. "Well, thankfully you're not the boss of me and I'm going to go visit Will."

Micky was groaning automatically. "Why do you have to be so annoying? Do you know how much shit I get because you're always wanting to hang around with us? You don't see Nancy wanting to hang out with Mike all the time."