Mark your prey

I tried to comfort myself, telling my mind at least the situation could be worse.
My tutor could have been .. Sasuke.

But as I almost felt relieved, he entered the classroom. And when his sight fell on Sai and I, he grew irritated. The younger Uchiha clicked his tongue as he headed past our table to get to his' at the back of the classroom.

With tutors and students settling down, we all began to start our lesson. Sai was even tougher on me compared to my previous assigned student tutor. But despite his fierce appearance, he was patience with his teachings even though I got confused and lost between the questions easily. But there was one question I could not get pass no matter how hard I tried.

"Agh! I give up! This is just too hard!" I grumbled, leaning back against my chair in defeat. My tutor stared at me, "Have some faith in yourself, blockhead." He knocked my head a couple of times before encouraging me to try solving the question again.

After more than an hour of trying, and all the energy and saliva Sai wasted, I finally understood and wrote down an answer that made sense without wild guessing. "Is this correct?" I looked up from the book, right into his eyes. The president almost cracked a smile as he inched closer, "I knew you could do it." He whispered as he flicked my forehead with his middle finger and thumb.

"Shall we take a 15 minute break?" One of the tutors asked Sai, and that question broke off our eye contact. The president agreed and the class cheered. I was so stiff, the moment I got out of my seat, I had to stretch all my limbs out. But I was energised and motivated now that I conquered a difficult question. I proceeded to walk out of the class to get a soda from the vending machine as a reward for my accomplishment.

I popped the cold soda can open in my hand and gulped it down. The cold fizzy drink felt refreshing as it gushed down my throat. But I almost choked when I spotted Sasuke heading my way. Is he looking at me?

Is he walking towards me?

I shook my head, trying to keep my composure. He's definitely getting a drink from the vending machine as well. I slowly turned around and backed away from the drink machine, chugging down my soda pretending to be busy so he doesn't strike up a conversation with me.

As the drink machine left my peripheral vision,
I could hear his voice calling out to me. His voice was icy cold but stern. "Naruto." I stopped in my tracks, turning around to face him nervously. He was facing the vending machine, with one hand inserting a coin into it and the other shoved deep into his pocket.

"Sasuke.. What's up?" I coughed in between my words as I gulped more soda down. "Let me tutor you instead." He grabbed his cold drink out of the vending machine slot as he turned to me.

"What..?" I cleared my throat, almost choking on my soda. "Sai's not competent enough. You were struggling for an hour." He reasoned with me convincingly, walking closer to me.

"I-I'm good with Sai. I don't need your help." I shut his offer down quickly. He would not be as patient or tolerant as Sai and he would probably laugh at me again. Totally not because.. whenever he's near.. I can't seem to focus.

"I don't like it.. You and him." He took a sip of his drink as he mumbled under his breath.
My eyes widen as I digested his whispers.

Me and Sai..?

"Is he bothering you, Naruto?" I jumped, the president interrupted us, standing between us.
"N-no! I'm fine." I reassured him and laughed nervously. "Well.. You're late. We agreed on 15 minutes." He chided me, his arm grabbing onto my wrist as he dragged me to class, leaving Sasuke behind.

I could hear Sasuke crushing the can in his hand.

I apologised to Sai and took my seat as Sasuke entered the classroom. We didn't look at one another.

What the hell was that about?
Was he jealous over Sai?
We made it clear that the game was over.

First he goes around making out with all those girls, then suddenly he does this! He just can't make up his goddamn mind and I can't seem to understand him.

Wait, why should I care about that?
Why should I care about him?

"Blockhead, are you listening to me?" Sai tapped my forehead again, pointing his pen towards the question written on the page. I blinked a few times before pulling myself back to reality. Ah, he's distracting me again.

A few more boring hours passed as I did my best to cram whatever knowledge I could before the bell finally rang.
"Finally!" I cheered, closely the textbook in front of me. "I'm exhausted!" I continued complaining.

Sai shook his head at me first, then proceeded to pack the books into his bag. "Come on, I'll drive you home."
I was in disbelief, did the cold hearted president just offered me a ride home?
But.. I couldn't accept his ride.

"I'm good! I'll take the bus home."I rejected his offer almost immediately, I couldn't have him finding out I live with the two brothers.

"I said I'll drive you home." He slung his bag over his shoulders as he walked out of the classroom. It didn't sound like a question nor an offer, it was more of a demand. I blinked in confusion, unsure what I should do next.

I can't offend the Student Council President right? What if he takes me out of the tuition sessions?!

I took a peek at Sasuke who was eyeballing me, before I reluctantly followed behind the fierce president.
"Sure! Thanks for the ride." I forced myself to smile, trying to score points with the president.

I sat in his car and buckled up. He was driving a high end luxury car like the Uchiha's. Another child from a rich family.

"Where do you live?" He turned to me nonchalantly from the driver's seat with his hands resting on the wheel.

I randomly name dropped the first street I could think of which was quite a distance from the Uchiha Residences. I couldn't have him knowing I stayed with the notorious brothers. He nodded as he started driving towards the place.

"..Thank you, Sai." I muttered as I looked out of the window casually.
"For what?" He replied.
"Tutoring me despite how slow I am.."
"It's what I should do. No student should repeat another year under my care."
I was dumbfounded, looking over to him and at that moment, I realised what Sakura said was true.

Sai was a genuinely nice person after all.