Chapter 15: King Again

Pic: Mikoto's necklace.

"You lost your mind in the sound
There's so much more, you can reclaim your crown
You're in control
Rid of the monsters inside your head
Put all your faults to bed
You can be King again."
-"King" by Lauren Aquilina

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

August 13, 2010

Mikoto's 22nd birthday.

He's so young and yet, at the age of 24, Tatara will be murdered, and he'll die avenging his best friend.

I slammed the HOMRA bar doors open, yelling out, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

Half of the boys in the room startled and got into a fighting position, thinking that it was an ambush.

The other half rolled their eyes at my antics, but also yelled out, "Hana!"

"Where have you been, punk?!" I heard someone shout.

"None of your damn business!"

"Hana?" A soft voice calls out next to the sleeping figure on the couch.

Damn, of course. It's his birthday and he's spending it sleeping on that damn couch of his. Stupid Mikoto.

I dropped everything I was carrying and ran over to Anna, "Anna-chan!"

"You smell like cows." Anna murmured after I gave her a giant hug.

"Ha." I ruffled her head, "How do you even know what cows smell like?"

"The boys took me out. We went to a zoo a few weeks ago."

"That so sweet! Tell me all about it, even the parts when the boys got in trouble."

"...How did you know?"

"I always know." I winked at her.

I greeted everyone, laughing and smiling. It feels good to be back.

Bantering with Izumo, flirting with Tatara, and teasing Misaki. Anna and I even got our girl time.

We spent most of the afternoon talking, and then we held a small party with just the core members of HOMRA to celebrate Mikoto's birthday.

Although the party lasted long into the night, Mikoto headed up into his room earlier.

No matter how much he slept, it seemed like he was still exhausted. His personality had always been one to avoid troublesome things, but even so his mood has been a lot different lately.

It wasn't until Tatara confirmed my suspicions that I knew it was time.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

"How's Mikoto?" I leaned into Tatara as we both watched Mikoto make his way up the wooden stairs.

We both had drinks in our hands, mine of course was non-alcoholic. There was something important happening and I needed to be sober for it.

Tatara glanced around us, and seeing the rest of the members preoccupied or drunk, he lowered his voice, "I don't know, Hana."

His breath ghosted over my cheek as he had leaned in to whisper Mikoto's condition. Tatara's long, pale fingers brushed up against a tuft of my pink hair, pushing it out of the way.

I stared into his hazel eyes, clear and unwavering, and yet there was an unmistakable hint of concern and sadness. Mikoto was not one to share his feelings or problems openly. He always blazed on, head first when confronting delicate matters. Tatara and Izumo are able to figure out his troubles because they have been his closest friends for a long time, even before he gained his King powers.