Chapter 30

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

I heard it before I saw it. My eyelids felt too heavy to open. I couldn't make out if I'm in hell or if I went to heaven. Or maybe I'm flooding in a neverending darkness for eternity. But of that's true then why do I hear a beep?

"I found her." I recognized that voice instantly. Omer.

"She barley made it, but she's stable now. She wouldn't be transferred here if she wasn't. If you have any more questions at all we are more than happy to answer them." Some man said.

"Just take care of her."

"We will."

I heard a door close. I felt a hand hold mine. I figured it was him. There were no words. Just a slight squeeze here and there. I tried to open my eyes again, but it's so heavy. Finally after a few tries I opened them. My eyes adjusted to the brightness of the room. I saw Omer looking down, playing with my wedding rings.

My attention on him was replaced elsewhere instantly. I saw the brown belt on my wrist. Why am I restraint on the bed? I pulled at it, but it held my wrist tightly in place. My eyes widened in despair. My fight caught his attention.

"Hey. Look at me." He grabbed my face in his hands and forced me too.

"Get it off of me!" I panicked.

"Look at me. Breathe. You're okay." I blinked several times and did what he told me. "Just breathe."

I shook my head, but I controlled myself. "Just breathe." I repeated after him.

He leaned his forehead on mine. "I've never been so scared in my life. I thought I lost you." He confessed. I just looked at those dark eyes I loved so much. So much emotion was there, it was foreign to me. "I'm going to let you go, but I need you to focus on me. Nothing else, just me. Will you do that?" I trusted him so I nodded in agreement. He slowly stepped back and sat on the chair beside my bed. He held my hand in his, covering the belt that secured me in place. "We were waiting for you to wake up."

I looked around the room. It looked more plain than the hospital room I was used to, but it still looked like a hospital room. The only thing that seemed different was the surveillance camera on the upper corner of the room. I ignored it and turned back to my husband. "I'm sorry." I whispered hoarsely, barley recognizing my own voice.

"You have nothing to be sorry about. We'll get through this. I promise."

The door opened to reveal a tall man with aging gray hair. "Welcome back, Cora. My name is Dr. Miller. How are you feeling?" He asked.

"Good." I responded.

"Good. Good. We checked your livers, and brain. Those are the main ones we have to pay close attention to. Thankfully there was no permanent damage. Consider yourself lucky. We don't have alot of patients with the same outcome." He then turned his attention to Omer. "If I may have a word with you? I would like to discuss something."

He nodded at the doctor. His eyes held mine. "Look up and breathe. I'll be back soon." He kissed my forehead and followed the doctor out. I did as I was told. I stared up the ceiling and focused on my breathing.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Moments later Omer came back into the room. He looked torn, but I knew not to ask. He sat in the chair and held my hand again, making sure to cover my view from the belt. "I want you to know that I'm here for you. No matter what happens, I'll always be here." His message was cryptic. He kissed my hand. Then he stood up and kissed my forehead. Closing his eyes he took a deep breath. "I love you, Cora." He stood back as there was a knock in the door.