xxv. back to square one

"I'm not saying there's something wrong with you two but I know there is so what the hell is happening between the two of you? Why are you ignoring each other? Did something happen? During your sleepover?" Pete asks, frustration clear from his voice seeing Can and his brother going back to square one.

"No. Nothing. Nothing happened." Can insists.

Yeah. Nothing happened, they just kissed accidentally, because they thought it was the right time and the right place, however, now, they regretted it- wait no, Tin might be regretting it but Can isn't.

"I'm not buying that. I've already asked Tin about this but you know what he told me? He told me that it's not my business and how is it that it's not my business? I'm so invested in your lives I can barely enjoy mine."

Can holds his tongue from saying out 'Well, who told you to meddle in our lives?' but that will only ignite the intense feeling Pete's feeling so he controls himself.

"... So now I'm asking..." Pete is still ranting. "... I'm really hoping you'll tell me because I'm your best friend and best friends tell everything to each other so please tell me Can, I promise you I won't tell it to anyone plus, maybe, I can help you guys, just please, trust me on this one, please?"

"Pete, I trust you. But I've already told you, there's nothing wrong, at least on my part, there isn't."

"Okay, you don't want to tell me as well. Well, nice to know that my best friend doesn't trust me enough to tell me what's happening in his life."

"I don't really know what happened, okay? He just suddenly ignored me. When I texted him a while ago to ask if he has something against me, he didn't respond so, Pete, I don't know anything."

"But, did you do something to him that might you know hint why is he acting like this?"

Can shakes his head profusely. "Honestly, I don't know, we were fine and when I left him, we were still talking that's why I'm so confused right now why he is acting like this."

"Well, have you tried calling him again?"

"No. I don't want to look as if I'm so needy and so desperate to talk to him again when in the first place, it's him who acted weird all of a sudden."

Pete snickers. "Aren't you?"

"I'm not. If there's anyone desperate here Pete, I think it's you."

"Can you blame me? I just want you guys to be happy."

"Well, in order for us to be happy, Tin should pull his head out of his ass."

Pete nods and pats Can's shoulder. "You're right. Don't worry, I'll talk to him again later, but promise me, if I did talk to him and he told me what's bothering him, can you please talk to him also and settle whatever this is once and for all?"

"Pete, be honest, why do you want to fix this badly?"

"Because you guys are doing great and I don't want whatever relationship you have vanishing all of a sudden."

Can raises his eyebrow. "Really?"

"I want my brother to be happy and after so many years, this is the first time I've seen him smiling again after a long time. I can't even remember the last time I saw him with a genuine smile so please Can?"

Can shrugs. "Okay, let's see what happens later."

Before going to their next class, Can decides to so leave his book in his locker so he walks straight to his locker. However, the moment a bucket of green slime pours straight on him, drenching him.