the worst

yasmin

I sat on the kitchen counter as I watched Kalin pace around like a mad man. I assumed he had just woke up outta his sleep, the way he was looking.

"It's not that serious K." I tried.

"Not that serious— Lord give me the fucking strength. What the fuck are you out kissing lil boys about Yas? You think that shits cute? It's not! You a kid."

"I'm seventeen."

"Exactly, a damn kid!"

Nigga, I'm grown.

"Y'all good?" I was shocked to see Hakeem walking my bathroom.

"The fuck are you doing here?" I looked in between Hakeem and Kalin for an explanation.

"Damn, hello to you too." he laughed, plopping down on the sofa.

"He gon be staying with us here for a while." Kalin stated.

"...why?"

"My mama kicked me out so I called Kalin."

"Kicked you out for what?"

"I walked in the house and that nigga was beatin on her. She kept telling me she had it under control but I wasn't gon sit and watch that. I fucked him up. And she kicked me out for that." he explained.

Hakeem's mom always seemed to have a new man every other day in the house ever since we was kids. I felt for Hakeem on that level, cause not only did he struggle with not knowing his daddy but everyday his momma brought him a new one. And most times, it was men who had no business being around a child anyway.

I remember when we was in maybe first grade he would tell me bout 'a new daddy' almost every month. I was so confused I had asked my daddy bout it and he had explained to me that Keem was in a different situation than me.

I always felt like over the years Keem grew a hostility towards the world. And who could blame him. All the universe ever did to him was chew up his happiness and spit it back on him.

"I'm so sorry Keem." I made my way over to him, taking a seat beside him.

"Nah don't sweat it. Imma pick up some shifts and try to get me a place. I won't be round here for long, don't worry." he sighed.

"Nah nigga you focusing on school and the football. I got you lil bro." Kalin told him, taking a seat on the other couch.

"I appreciate that, but I gotta handle shit." Keem insisted.

"Nah, that's what y'all don't get. Y'all are kids so enjoy that shit be kids. I be tryna tell this lil girl" he pointed his finger at me.

"What you do now?" Keem smirked turning to face me.

"Nothing."

"Nothing? She was out there getting damn near naked in the car with some nigga I ain't ever seen before!" Kalin ran his mouth.

"Wow." Keem's face scrunched before he turned his face from me.

"Who the fuck was that anyway? That car was too nice for a kid. How you know he ain't stole it?"

"He didn't fucking steal it Kalin."

"Watch yo mouth."

"It was Melo, wasn't it?" Keem realized.

I nodded, not feeling the need to lie.

"The fuck is a Melo?" Kalin looked in confusion.

"Nunya." I simply said.