4.5

Pharoah

  I chewed my inner cheek as I looked around the shop, it was Friday and the day of the dance  show. Naylani was forced to work backstage and I was going merely for my girlfriend who was still mad for no fucking reason. I say as I sat in the shop, it was a normal day my pa doing a bunch of nothing as music played in the background and Him and Arnold talked shit. He shook his head as he walked over to me at the desk.

"Wassup baby Nas, when's my next pointment?" He asked

"In 15, and Ian no baby nas" I started narrowing my eyes at him.

"Yeah whatever, you even got the same mad look" he laughed making me narrow my eyes at him even more.

"You done or finished?— wait wait, you known my parents for a moment" he raised his eyebrow. Last night my teacher had emailed me saying I should go a different approach with my essay; about how the struggles of Chicago and the people around me shaped me as a person. So first I need to know what shaped my parents into how they are, especially if I need to make this shit close to 20 pages by the end of the year. The worst part was it couldn't be bullshit.

"I knew ya parents before they was even a thing, Nassiah straight outta jail and Alonso love stuck for some straight homophobic hothead" he said with a small chuckle as if what he said was funny. "Damn if keem seen the shop today he'd probably stop calling Nassiah a delinquent, ya pops grew very much" he added "Alonso's been smart doe, dat boy grew up inna streets Neva thought bout it a lick" he said before tapping the desk. "Talk to them bout it" he added before walking off. What he told me sounded pretty much true except I never heard about no keem, I heard very little about any of my pops family unless it was from somebody else; but even then it seemed they didn't wanna bring it up.

"I think I need a haircut" the voice was to familiar I looked up and saw my uncle Nayson fixing his curls I jumped up in excitement as my pops turned around with a small smile.

"You coming hea to arrest me?" He asked making Nayson shake his head at my father.

"Did you do anything illegal Nassiah?"

"Ian fucking with you till you show me you ain't got no wire" like everything he came to visit Nayson showed us his shirt and turned around before my pops started talking.

"Look at my nephew, looking like— ya damn father what the hell" he said grabbing my face. "It's like a clone, with a bit of Alonso—Nassiah you pop this child out?" He said eyeing my face before pulling me into a hug.

"1- I'll fuck you up, 2- You just popping up make me nervous as hell, Nay you know ion like surprises" my pops called as he went back to doing hair.

"I'm actually relocating back to Chicago, I started thinking the best town to place is the one I grew up in" Nassiah snorted a bit. "I do hope Alonso finally got you to stop that shooting shit; my boys are moving in and I am a detective a good one I don't need my brothers name popping up"

"Don't tell me what you fucking need, I fed yo ass! I'm the reason you a detective you Betta act like you don't see shit"

"Pa!" I said and he sent me a small smile.

"What king? It's a joke relax.. I already know you can't stand no shootout" he said whichmade me raise my eyebrow. When you ask questions it surprises me how much else came out with it,it's like I was born in the streets and didn't even know.

"King we gotta roll outta hea by 6:30, Lani said if she behave for the costumes they gonna let her do her solo last" he started and everyone knew now Naylani got, I broke my arm from falling out of a tree one year and me and Dad had to get a cast, Naylani had a WHOLE fit that we didn't make it to her dance show— She was 10. I haven't missed on after that.