first mission: obtained?

The next few days at Wayne manor were...interesting, to put it lightly. Dick barely came out of his room, only at meal times and even then he only ate, didn't say a word to anyone but Damian. Tim looked like he hadn't slept in about five days, which could very well be the truth. M'gann was about five seconds away from breaking her own code and using her powers to make him get some sleep. Damian was even unusually quiet, staying by Dick's side whenever he was out of his room and even going out of his way to avoid conflict with Tim. The girls had gone back to Steph's house after sleeping over the second night, so the team really didn't have much to do besides make sure Tim at least rested his body and Dick ate food.

So it was very shocking that on the seventh morning of the heroes being in the Wayne home Dick came skipping down the stairs with a huge grin on his face. "Good morning, squad! Good morning, Tim! Hello, little D!" He sang, making everyone at the table slightly uncomfortable.

"Hey, Dick." Tim said after chugging his coffee. "What's got you in such a good mood?"

"Oh, y'know, just the little, miniscule, fact that you, Mister Golden Heir, messed up." Dick smiled brightly as he poured his cereal, making Wally furrow his brow.

Why would Tim messing up make Dick happy?

He's mad at him for the whole album thing, remember?

Yeah, but still. That seems a bit extreme for Dick.

"How so?" Tim raised a brow, taking the bait.

"You forgot about tonight's fundraiser, didn't you? We're hosting." Dick smirked, watching all the color drain from Tim's already super pale face. "Thought so."

"Crap. Bruce is going to kill me." Tim moaned, brewing another pot of coffee. "I'll be in the ballroom with Lucius once I get him over here, along with the rest of the party staff. Do not bother us." Tim glared at the gathering of young folk, drinking straight from the pot of coffee as he stumbled out of the room.

Damian shook his head, looking up at Dick. "You could've given him more warning. This will reflect badly on father as well."

Dick shrugged, the smile sliding off his face. "So?" He quickly spooned in the rest of his cereal, putting the bowl in the sink. "I'll be on the phone with Babs, you lot might want to find appropriate gala wear."

Artemis groaned, slapping Wally's arm when the speedster winked at her. "This is going to suck."'

"No, it will be quite amusing." Damian interjected, drawing the teens' attention to himself. "During galas is usually when rogues like to strike and try to hold one of us for ransom. You five might actually get to do something useful tonight. I suggest you do some training today." The ten-year-old smiled slyly, walking out of the kitchen and leaving the five heroes alone.

"Do you believe him? That we might get action tonight?" Wally went to make a comment on M'gann's choice of words but was stopped by a glare from his girlfriend.

"It is very possible. After all, Gotham is very unpredictable. Besides crime, that is always a given." Artemis sighed, pulling her hair back into a ponytail. "So, M'gann and I will go dress shopping first and when we get back, you three can go buy suits? Sound good?"

"Artemis willingly going shopping? I'm shocked." Kaldur deadpanned, chuckling when the archer shot him a dirty look. "But that does sound like a solid plan. Have fun."

The two girls got up and left the kitchen, grabbing their coats and exiting the mansion the same time a red head was about to ring the bell. "Oh, who are you?" M'gann asked, scanning the red head's mind for any ill intent.

"Barbara Gordon, police commissioner's daughter and Dick's friend. Who are you?" She asked, cocking a brow.

"We are his security team, part of it. We are just stepping out to go dress shopping for the gala tonight. What are you doing here?" Artemis narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

"Hanging out with my friend. He is having a hard time right now, this time of year...anyways, have fun dress shopping." Barbara smiled, side stepping the two heroes and closing the door behind her.

The two girls exchanged looks. "I didn't find anything threatening about her. You?"

"Nada. Let's get this over with." Artemis groaned, following M'gann down the steps towards the bioship.

Inside the manor, Barbara made it up to Dick's room and knocked gently on the door. "Dick? It's me, I'm coming in."

She entered the room to find her friend huddled under his blankets, scrolling through his phone. "Hi Babs." He mumbled, scooting over on his bed.

Babs climbed under the covers next to him, looking at his phone with a sigh. "Do you think looking at those photos right now is going to help you?"

Dick shrugged wordlessly, swiping to the next photo. It was a selfie he had taken two years ago from atop the chandelier in the main hallway, sitting next to him with a big cheesy grin was his little brother. Not Tim or Damian, but his other little brother. Jason.

The dead one.

Just thinking about him made Dick's stomach ache. They were coming up on the two year anniversary of his death, so when he found Wally looking at Jason's baby photos he couldn't help but feel something in him snap. Nobody in the manor had known him, not really.

Sure, the team had known him briefly as Robin. And Tim and Damian knew of him, but nobody knew him as Jason and that stung.

Barbara hummed next to Dick, taking the phone from his hand. "I know you miss him, I do too. He was like my little brother too, you know. But right now we have to get you public ready and that means putting Jason on the back burner for tonight. We can visit his grave tomorrow, if you want?"

Dick blinked back the tears, staring up at the ceiling. "Sure. But you're right. Let's get ready to get wasted."