-2-

"shit I'm late" I rushed to my first class and walking in I saw many faces staring at me.

"everyone this is our new student maxine mayfield"

"uh its max" I said rolling my eyes a little because every new teacher I had would say my full name.

"max mayfield from sunny California" the overly enthusiastic teacher said.

I found my seat towards the back trying not to make eye contact with anyone and let out a sigh. "this is gonna be a long shitty year" I mumbled.

The class went by quite boring and when the bell rang I rushed out of there. "max right?" a voice asked behind me and I turned my head.

"yeah?" I asked.

"hi I'm lucas and this is-" a nice but serious looking boy said.

"dustin" a curly haired boy next to him interrupted.

"you can sit with us at lunch" lucas said.

I looked at him slightly annoyed. "i'm fine thank you"

"please sit with us or you'll just look like a loser sitting alone and those are targets for the bullies" dustin exclaimed.

I rolled my eyes, "what bullies?"

dustin pointed to the brunette girl jane I had saw earlier and her boyfriend mike. "them, they're the popular ones and they love to humiliate the unpopular people especially the new kids"

"whatever, I can manage on my own bye" I said walking off but deep down I was a little afraid I might get bullied and on my first day of school.

When the lunch bell rang one class period later I headed to the cafeteria and looked around for somewhere to sit. I spotted the smaller boy will from earlier and walked over. "hey uh is this seat taken?" I asked.

Not looking up from what looked like his sketch book he said, "nope you can sit there"

I smiled and sat down, my eyes wandering towards the front of the cafeteria where jane was sitting. Her brown eyes sparkling as she talked with excitement about something to mike. I had only just met this girl today well aware of how popular and bitchy she was and there was just something about her I admired. Not in a creepy crush way because I'm not gay or anything. I mean there had been times back in California where there was girls who were really pretty to me, but I'm straight I'm into guys I'm not gay-

"oh hey again max" my thoughts were interrupted by will who was looking at me.

"hey" I said back.

"don't waste your time you'll never be friends with the popular kids" he said with a sigh.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "what do you mean?"

"well I was friends with mike best friends actually until he started dating jane and became popular and left me and my other friends dustin and lucas" will said with a sad look on his face.

"oh i'm sorry that happened, he's kind of an ass"

will nodded in agreement. "yeah I wish we were still friends or more...." he said the last part quietly enough that I still heard but I didn't say anything. I shifted my eyes back to jane dreamily putting my chin in the palm of my hand. Little did I know I was falling for that girl.