Chapter 34; Torn Away

There is a much longer chapter after this one, hence why I'm posting them together.

* * *

He wasn't sure when it happened. The pain that encompassed his entire body. The fire that had spread through his veins and down his torso. Alice. Colden knew then, even as a wail left his mouth, his hand clutched to his chest as Tom and other Alpha's gathered around him, shouting instructions and commands, that she was dead.

Gone. Torn away from his arms as if she had never been there in the first place.

The numbness had spread then. Colden counted every second of every minute knowing that he could have watched his own family be slaughtered in front of his eyes and still, he couldn't feel this much pain. Perhaps he had been wrong about mates all along. They were not a gift from the Gods. They were a curse. 

There was no doubt in his mind that Lucien had done it. Who else could it be? The only thing on his mind, as he watched and laid helplessly on the barracks of their camp, was the hope that Alice had given him a fight. That she had at least gone down fighting. 

Even then the pain burned brightly and all that Colden could do was close his eyes and hope to never wake up again.

His dreams were filled with her haunting voice and her sweet scent.

Alice was truly dead and Colden wished that he had been too.