When You Least Expect It

The next morning, Tony is leaning on the kitchen counter with a coffee cup in his hand and a wrinkle free suit on. Peter wonders what he's all dressed up for...besides owning his own company. He debates eating Tony's food for breakfast, but hunger pains quickly win his internal argument. There's a half full box of mildly stale corn flakes in the kitchen, which is better than nothing.

"Happy's outside waiting for you when you're ready," Tony informs as Peter is finishing his cereal. Peter nods, drinking the last of the milk from his bowl.

"Thanks, Mr. Stark! Have a good day!" Be enthusiastic, Peter. You can't drag them down anymore.

"You too. See you after school," Tony reminds. Peter quickly remembers that they start the new training today. How could he forget something like that?

"Yeah!" As soon as he agrees, he's headed down to the ground floor in the elevator. The familiar black Cadillac is waiting outside and he wastes no time in hopping in the passenger seat. "Morning, Happy," he greets, shutting the door.

"Morning." Happy eyes Peter's lone backpack. "Where's all the stuff you got yesterday?"

"Oh, I decided to leave the suit and the extra clothes here. I wanna have the backups just in case I have to stay the weekend again. That and I don't trust myself to carry around a five hundred dollar suit at school." Happy slowly nods in understanding and starts the engine. They sit in comfortable silence on the fortunately short drive to school.

"I'm picking you up after school, so don't make Tony reprimand me for you being late." Happy gives Peter a pointed look, who smiles innocently.

"C'mon, Happy, have a little faith! I'm sure I'm, like, the most punctual person you know," Peter assures him, his smile never faltering.

"Yeah yeah, get outta here." Happy shoos him away with his hand. Peter laughs and gets out of the car with his backpack slung over his shoulder. Happy adjusts his sunglasses and nods to Peter before driving off. Luckily, Peter is early enough that he doesn't think anyone noticed the Cadillac dropping him off. Shoving the earphones back in his ears, he walks into Midtown High with his head down to try to block out the rest of the world. He immediately walks to his first class, knowing that he won't see Ned until the first passing period.

Classes are as boring as always and he finds his leg bouncing impatiently until the bell rings to signal the end of class. He's one of the first people out of the classroom and walks straight to his locker. Thankfully, Ned is already waiting for him at their lockers. Peter weaves through the people in the crowded hallway and as soon as Ned sees him, his eyes widen.

"Dude!" Ned practically squeals. He grabs onto Peter's sleeve and yanks him towards the lockers.

"Hey!" Peter tries to protest.

"Where were you yesterday?! You, like, dropped off the face of the planet! I didn't have anything to do this weekend 'cause apparently Sp-" Peter clamps a hand over Ned's mouth and shushes him.

"Secret identity, remember? Ring a bell?" Peter whispers aggressively. It's a good thing the halls are so loud during passing.

"Sorry," Ned whispers. "But seriously! I was so bored and you text me out of nowhere that you've been hanging out with Tony Freaking Stark?!" He tries to keep talking, his words devolving into excited gibberish. Peter tries to quiet him down, but it's hard when he's laughing himself.

"Don't short circuit! I'll tell you all about it, just calm down." Ned puts his hand on his own chest and gets his breath back.

"I'm best friends with a superhero who happens to be the apprentice of the richest man in the world who's also a freaking superhero," he rambles quietly. "Our lives are unreal."