A few herbs

• Vervain was a favored herb of the druids and used in magick rituals. It was thought to protect the bearer against witches' spells and to ward off the Evil Eye. Placing vervain on a small cut on the hand was believed to bestow the ability to open locked and bolted doors once the hand had fully healed.

• Thyme was traditionally worn to protect the bearer from evil spells and to give courage and strength. Having a thyme bush in your garden was thought to bring positive energy into the house. It can be used in spells for good luck.

• Chamomile was sprinkled around the home to remove curses and negative spells. The delicate flower can also be used in wealth spells to attract money and it is favored by superstitious gamblers.

• Rosemary was hung about houses to keep thieves and witches away. Carrying rosemary was believed to ensure success in love and also retain youthful looks. Burning rosemary in a place will help to cleanse the atmosphere of negativity.

• Mistletoe was believed to open locks and protect homes. It was also placed on babies' cots to protect them from being stolen by the faeries.

• Yarrow (dried) can be hung over the wedding bed was said to ensure the couple's love would last for seven years. Carrying yarrow was thought to attract friends.

• Spearmint can be put under a pillow to protect the sleeper from nightmares or from real harm. The stimulating scent is also thought to sharpen the wearer's mental powers.