2.9

Note: this chapter will be a bit more graphic compared to other chapters as it contains some triggerable topics. I will put a +++ before the section begins if you wish to skip over it and will have another +++ mark where it ends.

5 weeks.

It has been five weeks, almost six, since Gang Meili died.

Violently murdered, carved and discarded. The haunting image of the character for 'whore' always lingered at the back of Shi Zixin's mind, reminding the commander that the killer is still out there. 

Uncaught.

"Commander Shi!"

Lines of men salute their commander as Shi Zixin gives a tired wave, snapped out of her thoughts. "At ease, lads. We've got a lot of work to do and not much time to do it."

The thing about wars is that they appear much longer in hindsight, something Shi Zixin would've never realized if she hadn't ended up in a war. The original war, according to this body, lasted a bit over 18 months; yet, it's felt like ages and Shi Zixin is only 1/3rd of the way through. Surely, her tactics have changed the way things have flown, but still...

War has aged me considerably...

Shi Zixin's eyes scanned her brigade. Sadly, with Lau's orders, all the other original generals, save for Lau himself, have passed on due to poor management and tactics. They were quickly replaced, unsurprisingly by Shi Zixin's original brigade members, and had their own troops.

Meanwhile Lau, being the snake he is, wriggled his way into being second-in-command of the whole army. Then, the Chief Commander mysteriously died on the battlefield, and Lau took on that role.

However, it seemed as if Lau was losing the power he had as many looked more to Shi Zixin for guidance, a thought that always made a smile creep onto her face. Yet, Lau was still the highest ranked, and Shi Zixin was second.

Shaolian's countryside had been overtaken, leaving only the Southern part remaining; however, it'd be the hardest to overtake. The towns are more populated, more soldiers would be on the prowl, and the capitol is just a stone's throw away. If the capitol was overtaken, everything else'd crumble easily, but Shi Zixin is still working on a plan for that.

"Afternoon training will be under General Fu and General Gang today," Shi Zixin informs, suppressing a yawn that bubbled in her throat. The transmigrator wasn't even sure when she last had a good night of sleep, let alone any dreams. "Groups A and C with General Fu, and B and D with General Gang."

The once loud-mouthed man stepped forward, now sporting a trimmer look. After the death of his sister, Gang Xiabo worked even harder so that he could one day avenge his sister. However, with the killer still free...

Shi Zixin shook off these thoughts and went to her tent following breakfast, looking at the maps coating the walls.

I just have to knock Lau off his pedestal as Chief Commander and it can all be over...

'About that...'

Shi Zixin bolted from her thoughts as a frown came onto her face. 'What's the problem, 008?'

'You need to remain Chief Commander, or whatever the highest position possible is, until the whole ordeal is over; regardless if you win or lose the war. If you die as Chief Commander, you'll get the points and have met your goal. But, let's say the Jinzhouan army is distinguished before your death, or you're removed from power....'

Shi Zixin's eyes widened in fright.

'And if I don't, I lose 1,000 points,' Shi Zixin gasps.