twelve.

REAGAN DID NOT find it strange that when she finally pulled up to her house at four in the morning, a light shining through the kitchen window indicated that someone was up.

She did not fret over the possible family member who was still awake, awaiting her arrival. She already knew who it was.

She practically dragged her bag against the ground as she let herself into the house, careful to shut the door gently and twist the lock so that the click was muted. She heard footsteps, padding along the hallway and out of the kitchen before she could even turn around.

"Where the hell have you been?"

Reagan sighed as she slowly revolved, coming face to face with Kate, who was dressed in a matching pajama set adorned with printed flowers. Even with a face free of makeup and her hair still drying from a shower earlier that night, Kate was flawless.

"It's a really, really long story. Can't I just tell you in the morning?"

"It is the morning, you ass. I've been waiting up for you all night. I thought you said you'd be home a little after midnight!"

"I got sidetracked," Reagan said, throwing her bag to the carpeted ground. "The band wanted to go to a bar and get drinks. And you didn't have to wait up for me, by the way."

"I wasn't going to go to sleep knowing you were driving alone from Seattle. What if you had died? That would have been on my conscious, Reagan!"

"God, you sound like Mom," Reagan mumbled.

"You wish. Mom would be giving you a hell of a lot more trouble right now if she were me. You're lucky that she and Dad believed me so easily."

"They have no reason not to believe you. You're the golden child."

"I'll never lie for you again, Reagan. Not when you worry me sick," Kate said with disgust.

"I'm really sorry that I worried you. I promise that p
you won't ever have to lie for me again."

"Oh, yeah right. I'm sure come next weekend you're going to be playing for this band again, probably next time across the country. What do you want me to tell Mom and Dad then?"

Reagan didn't answer her sister. She passed by and went straight into the kitchen where she opened the fridge and found a jug of the twins' apple juice. It would have been easier to go straight to bed, but she already felt a minor hangover brewing.

"Hello?" Kate demanded, following her sister with the intent on getting an answer out of her.

All Reagan managed to do was shrug her shoulders as she unscrewed the cap to the juice, tilting the rim of it back into her mouth.

Kate's tense demeanor softened as she watched Reagan drink her apple juice, her eyes open but sagged with exhaustion and something else that Kate could not put a name to.

"What happened, Reagan?"

"What do you mean?" Reagan asked, setting down the jug and wiping her lips. The back of her hand tingled when she remembered who had kissed her lips only an hour prior.

"I mean, you look dead. Like someone sucked out your soul."

"I'm tired, Kate. I played drums on a hot stage while in fear that my frontman was going to throw his guitar at my head for fun. And then I drank beer knowing I have to get up for work tomorrow."

"Something else happened that you're not telling me."

"Nothing happened. I'm really just tired."