Disarray

Have you ever been in shock before? If you haven't, let me elaborate on it for you? You go around your normal life and then bam! You're completely petrified, utterly frozen, and unable even to fathom the event while the entire world moves the same as any other day. The only signal of you also being alive reduced to a shuddering breath or uncontrolled twitch. That is until someone brings you back to focus. My name is Sofia Mendez, and I think I killed someone in a world gone mad.

When Genesis first started, when helixes were first causing havoc and Purifiers surfaced, I wasn't afraid. Or at least not in the way most people were. When my powers first came yes, there was some fear, but it didn't make me afraid of what was unknown, it left me intrigued over what startling transformation occurred within my body. And that's how it was when I lived my life in this post-apocalyptic planet of ours. I wasn't afraid of the transformations and the powers; it was more so the people that had used them to destroy rather than create. Sure some powers were uncontrollable, but those people couldn't be held accountable for bad luck. And that worldview only strengthened after becoming a Champion where it all came into this weird rhythm. Every week I would practice my powers, get accustomed to college, and over time, it became so casual that while conversing on how we stop our latest threat, I would be thinking of life's biggest questions. Like how if moonlight is reflected, sunlight, how do werewolves, and vampires exist?

But when that slimy man was going for the kill against Phil, when I touched him, and he contorted in petrification. All I could do was sit in horror and disgust over the transformation I had caused. Guilt trapped my throat while I searched in vain of how I could transmute a human body. All I could do was sit pondering over my own two hands while the others discussed what had happened.

"Was it like this for her too? " I wondered as I looked to my former idol, Chelsea.

I looked at the three people who could cripple a building if they wanted to. And that unnoticed gap suddenly widens into a deep crevasse. All at once, I decided what I needed to do. I walked straight up to my former teammates to discuss my newly made decision.

Phil POV

When I agreed to become a Champion, I knew that things would get messy eventually. When I signed on, I knew that it was going to be thankless, hard, brutal hell maybe even impossible. Chelsea even noted that herself many a time. Which partially was fine by me, I never thought of myself fit for the grandiose type of role. But despite all of the incredibly stacked odds, somehow, we made a miracle. I felt like we were finally making a difference in this world gone mad. After coming back from my tours, it was hard getting back to a normal life, and I felt like the Champions helped me into it. I got new hobbies, new friends and quickly got my old accounting job back to help support my sons. But I guess with so much good a little bit of bad had to come along the way. It's been a few weeks since Sofia's departure from the group, but it was a hard blow, but I felt like Maria, and I took it hardest. She was like a sibling in arms when it came to missions. We know both needed to be smarter and train harder if we were going to be of any help, and I felt like she was a great support when in the field.

Though if anyone knew the weight of taking a life, it was me. And in the end, I respected her decision. She still trained with me and visited the Trophy Case, but she was more careful and wore gloves now. Between that and the fact that Derek left for some hard-earned time with his extended family in Louisiana, I hoped that we wouldn't get any trouble with the city being quiet. Especially with our new guest about to make his way here. I quickly dropped Donald and Terry off at the house and kiss them goodbye apologizing that I couldn't take them to laser tag like usual.