Chapter 28 - Delilah

I bounce Zack on my hip as I crane my neck, lifting up on my toes to look for Nate. My pulse pounds violently as I wait in anticipation for him to finally show up in my line of vision. This whole weekend I've been replaying the words he said to me on Friday night.

Love you both.

Nate told me he loves me.

Well, technically me and Zack but still. I was left gaping at the blank screen, wondering if he even realized he said it because he ended the call before he was done saying the words. I don't think he knew what he said because it was so abrupt. I thought for sure us FaceTiming the rest of the weekend would be awkward but it turns out I didn't have to worry about that because we both got too busy and had to stick to texting. Neither of us mentioned his "slip up" and now I'm a nervous wreck about seeing him face to face and probably talk about what he said. Should I wait for him to bring it up? Should I bring it up?

Either way, I have plans to say the three words back. I spent so long waiting for the right moment until I realized there is no right moment. Saying the words in the heat of the moment itself is what will make it perfect. I know the way Nate told me was unconventional but I loved it. So much, that I have a surprise for him to show him how much I love him too. I think he's going to like it but I'm still nervous about his reaction.

"Mama is such a mess right now." I tell Zack with a groan. "Why can't love be easy? I hope it's easy for you when you find it, sweetness."

He babbles back at me and I smile, kissing his head. I can't believe he's already four-months-old. I've barely felt the time pass since he was born. He's such a good baby and I can't believe how blissful motherhood has been for me. I still talk to my psychiatrist Debra and she told me it's important for me to understand I deserve good things instead of questioning them and so I'm savouring every blessing in my life right now.

I startle when two large arms come around from behind me and my back meets a rock hard chest. I suck in a breath, Nate's familiar scent enveloping me, and my grin is immediate. I turn around in his embrace, carefully maneuvering Zack so he's not sandwiched between us.

"You're back!" I go up on my tiptoes to meet his lips in a searing kiss. He uses one hand to cup my face and angle my head while his other hands sits low on my back, his long fingers brushing the swell of my backside. I melt into him and feel so at home that my earlier worries completely disappear. Why am I so worried about telling him I love him? It's the absolute truth and I'm tired of holding it inside of me.

"I missed you both so much." He says gruffly when he pulls away. He takes Zack from my arms who's squealing happily and kicking his legs in excitement from finally seeing Nate. "Did you get bigger while I was gone, little man?"

Zack burrows his head into Nate's neck, cooing sweetly and using his little fingers to grip the collar of Nate's shirt.

"Aw, he's hugging you." I laugh, my heart bursting at the image of enormous Nate snuggling tiny Zack against his chest.

"Glad to see you too, dude." He whispers, kissing Zack's head and closing his eyes.

The moment is so pure and sweet, the love my son has for Nate so painfully obvious, that I can't help but feel ridiculously lucky to have such an amazing man be part of our lives. I can't believe I ever pushed him away but I'm glad things happened the way they did and brought us to this perfect moment.

"Hey, Nate?"

He opens his eyes, smiling softly at me. "Yeah, Angel?"

I hug his torso, tipping my head back and holding his gaze. "I love you. So, so much."