Chapter 26

Kalian did have work to do, and a lot of it. Azora didn't see him as much as usual, except sometimes they would spend time together in the nursery with their son. Even then, he would be there for 20 minutes and then a servant would come and call him away.

She sometimes saw him in court,  which was where she was now, but he was not there. Azora was starting to get worried, she didn't want him overworking himself.

She decided to start court that day without him, and just as she was about to tell the courtiers to quieten down, he rushed in, apologising to everyone as he briskly walked up to the thrones, his hair was not brushed and he had dark circles under his eyes. Azora stood up from her throne to greet him, but he went straight for a kiss, a soft one in the lips, and she raised her brows at him as they pulled away, and flashed her his cheeky grin which made her insides swirl a bit.

"Before we commence court today, I would like to invite everyone to a banquet this Saturday Eve to celebrate my beautiful family!"

Azora didn't know what to think at this announcement. She knew Kalian was trying hard to sway her, but she knew deep down that he didn't have to try. She already loved him, but she enjoyed seeing him put so much effort into impressing her. He reminded her of a young boy, on the cusp of adulthood, trying to woo a lady. And as she walked into the banquet hall that evening, she couldn't help but laugh at his boyish grin when she looked at the all the effort he had put in.

She and everyone in the court gasped as they noticed the seating arrangement. Instead of on throne like chair at the end of the table with smaller chairs down the side of the table as there usually would be, the table was wider, with two throne like chairs at the end. They were both equal in size and Azora wondered what this meant.

She walked down to the end, greeting her husband with a curtsey, but he pulled her up.

"Please, you do not have to. "

She grinned.
"What is the meaning of these chairs? Why am I to sit next to you? "

Kalian put on a mock offended facial expression.
"Since when did you think that it was for you? I was going to ask Lord Motly to sit with me"
He laughed when he saw Azoras mortified expression.

"Of course you are to sit beside me."

"What does this mean?"
She whispered.

He took her hands in his own,  and led her to the table.
"I'm asking you to rule alongside me, as my equal. We both get a say on ever decision. You will be at my side for every meeting. I want you to be Queen in actions as well as in name."

Azora began to tear up but laughed when he added;
"Plus you are much smarter than me and might make some actually good decisions."

Azora sniffled and hugged him.
"This is the greatest honour."

"I love you."
Kalian said, his voice wobbly. He looked at her expectantly.

She considered being truthful but she rather liked stringing him on, and so she remained silent, only kissing him on the cheek, before taking her seat.
~~~
The meeting started the next day, and though she liked being included in the decisions of the country, she was rather exhausted by the end of the first meeting. She took a break by playing with her son in the nursery. He could sit up now, and was beginning to make noises that sort of sounded like words.

"Dadadadadada"
He gurgled.

"Can you say mama?"
She looked at him expectantly.

"Dadadadadada"
He just repeated the only other word he knew, and Azora swooped him up, tickling him as he screamed with adorable baby laughter.

Azora placed him in her lap as she sat down in rocking chair by the window and kissed the the top of his head. She gazed out at the sunny courtyard and watched absentmindedly as a gentle breeze blew the flowers. She hadnt realised that her son was trying to squirm out of her arms onto the floor until he practically upside down,  and she was the only thing stopping him from falling on his head.

She placed him in the floor and watched as he crawled over to the doorway, where Kalian now stood. He picked him up and walked over to Azora.

"How was your day, my love."
He kissed her cheek.

"Exhausting, but rewarding."
She sighed and relaxed in the chair.

"Do you like the meetings? Are they too tiring? Would you rather not come? "

Azora laughed at his exasperated face, and shook her head.
"Oh you worry too much."

"I only worry because I'm trying to win you back, because I want you to love me as much as I love you."
His voice was quiet and his eyes searched hers.

"You don't need to try and win me over."
She whispered back.

He gently grasped her hand and softly kissed her cheek before darting out of the room. Azora remained in the same place and lifted her hand to her cheek where he had placed the kiss.

"You don't need to win me over,  because I already love you. "