sixteen

Bucky's attitude towards allowing Marci to join his mission completely changed. He realized that although they came different situations their motives remained similar. Both sought out closure from the organization that completely altered both their lives drastically, although in different ways. They both wanted to officially bring the end to horrors Hydra created.

Marci could tell that Bucky's mind had been changed when he showed her his hiding place for important information. Bucky was hesitant the reveal this to her, but he knew she could be trusted. Although in his new found state of mind they hadn't conversed much, there's were just something about her that pulled him in.

Without him showing her, she would have thought that it was just another creaky floorboard in the old building. But when he lifted the wooden plank from the floor she knew that it wasn't the case. Inside the small opening laid a Manila folder and a back pack which she assumes was full of necessities if he needed to take off in a hurry.  Within this folder there were countless documents of Hydra activity in Romania. Her eyes scanned over the documents when a thought entered her mind, "Were these the documents that Natasha leaked in D.C.?"

"It sure is," Bucky nodded, "She sent a lot of Hydra operatives into hiding. Now we have names but finding out their locations, that's the hard part."

"I see," her voice was low as her mind became flooded with all of this new information. For once her silver tongue remained silent which allowed Bucky to ask something that plagued his mind.

"Were you in Sokovia?" Marci gave him a look that he perceived as confused; she was surprised he knew about that. "It was broadcasted on like every news outlet for days," Bucky wondered.

"No," Marci shook her head. "Steve was, along with other Avengers. Sam said that Steve was really shooken up about it. Apparently a boy died that was helping them out." Although Marci had never met this person, she couldn't help but feel a sense of pain wash over her. She knew the risks of this life, but that doesn't mean that reality is easy to cope with. "He and his sister, Wanda, I think, are enhanced like me. Strucker experimented on them, gave them incredible abilities." Her words came out in a bitter tone.

Bucky knew immediately knew what she was getting at, "More human weapons at Hydras disposal?"

"Exactly," Marci sighed. "They were just kids," her eyes wandered down to her hands. They weren't ignited but they held an orange glow from her sudden surge of emotion. "I was just a kid."

"Hey," Bucky said walking over to her. He was hesitant to touch her, slightly afraid of getting burned from her powers. Yet he still reached out placing his flesh hand on her shoulder, the risk didn't matter. "I know better than anyone that there are bad days, sometimes there's a hell of a lot of them. But you can do so much good with these powers of yours," Marci's hands lost their glow and Bucky let his hand travel down her arm to squeeze her warm fingers. "You don't know how many people you saved in D.C., but you also don't know how much you saved me."

Marci usually wasn't an emotional girl. Living with only her dad made her good at hiding her emotions, she never wanted to bother him with her sappy feelings. But in this moment she feel a wave of emotions flood her body as Bucky spoke. She couldn't help the tears that danced down her cheeks, but in this moment she didn't care. She was so focused on Bucky's words at everything else seemed obsolete.

"I don't know what it was, but you sparked something in me. Seeing your friendship with Steve made me realize what I have been missing out on while being with Hydra. You gave me hope, that maybe one day I'll be able to be as close to him as I once was. You made me realize that I don't need to go back to Hydra," Bucky hadn't realized how much her presence alone had impacted him until now, when his thoughts flowed from his mouth like a river. Although they barely knew each other, the shared this silent bond. Both feeling gravitated to help one another. To prove to each other that their self worth is more than either of them know. They share a connection like no other.

Something that Bucky, yearned to have with Steve again. But Bucky knew that rebuilding his friendship with Steve would take time, and lots of it. It was easier with Marci because she didn't know the 1940's version of him. They met in his broken Winter Soldier state, and somehow he managed to not scare her off. He didn't need to prove to her that he's still the same person he was all of those years ago; which was good because he's not. As much as he doesn't want to admit it, he's changed. Maybe for the better, maybe not. It was something that he was still struggling to figure out, like many other things in this new age.

The silence that washed over the pair came to an end. "I just want to be better," he admitted, "You made me want to be better."

Another tear rolled from Marci's eye as she pressed her lips tightly together. Bucky wasn't usually one to express his feelings in such a way, he was nervous for her reaction to say the least. She took a step forward towards him. Her chocolate orbs were locked his icy blue ones as she raised her arm and placed her warm fingers on his cheek. Beneath her hand she could feel the slight scratch of stubble on his jaw, which seemed to relax into her touch.

"What have you done to me?" She whispered softly, but Bucky heard her.

A smile, a real yet small smile, made it's way to his face, "I could say the exact same thing." She released the breath she was unconsciously holding, and closed the space between them as they embraced in a tight hug. Marci had her arms wrapped around Bucky's torso while he hesitantly did the same.

Marci didn't quite understand what was going on, but she wasn't going to argue. It felt nice, and she sure could use some of that.

——————
I'm losing all of my wisdom (teeth) today
Wish me luck :(