-Worry

Rose

I sit in the waiting area for patients in surgery with my head on Ryder's shoulder and my hand on his lap. My leg bounces uncontrollably and my heart still beats fast in my chest.

Please don't die.

Please.

Ryder brings his hand over mine and I turn mine over, grabbing his and squeezing it tight.

I never realized how sincere he was. After his whole act faded, I guessed his feelings were apart of it, but he...

Fuck.

"I really hope he's okay. I don't want someone to die because of me, Ryder. That's the reason I left, the reason I stayed here, and the reason I told you what I did on the phone that day. Ryder, I'm scared and I fucking hate this." I whisper, staring into space.

"Rose, its not your fault. I understand why he did it and no matter what you could've done, this still would've happened. That's just how caring deeply for someone works."

I nod.

"It still sucks that he's in there. I should be instead."

"If he didn't take that bullet, I would've. This is my fault for not keeping my guard up. I'll fix this. When he comes out alive, we'll thank him."

If.

"Besides, you did get hurt. How's your arm?"

The bullet hit me in my triceps.

"It didn't hit anything important so I'm good. We just have to wait and see if Caleb will be good."

Another hour goes by, of Ryder comforting me and keeping me stable.

The doors of the surgery room open slowly and they pull out an unconscious Caleb. We just up and meet them as they go.

"Is he okay?" My hands tremble.

"Yes, he'll be fine. The bullet pierced his lung and if you had wasted any more time, we wouldn't be able to save him, but luckily you got here on time. We drained the blood out of his lung and patched him up. He should rest a lot in the next few months, not doing any serious exercise. Ok?" The doctor says, while throwing away her gloves and head mask.

"Of course, we'll take good care of him." I say, nodding frantically.

She gives us a smile and walks off.

I turn to Ryder, jumping into his arms. He catches me and spins me around. I beam, and thank someone, probably God, a hundred times in my mind.

Ryder sets me down and I feel my knees buckle from the force of the relief. He scoops me up, princess style and looks down at me with a grin.

"He's fine, Ryder. He's actually fine." I bury my head in his chest and squeal.

"You wanna see him?"

"Yeah, let's go."

He puts me down and I grab his hand, giddy all the way to Caleb's door. I slightly open it, seeing Caleb passed out on the bed.

"What do we do? He's asleep." I ask, looking back at Ryder.

"He should wake up pretty soon. Let's wait."

I nod and we file in, as I take the seat on the bedside and Ryder stands behind me.

Caleb's kind of long hair, lies to the side, seeming wet almost, and his face is ashy.

"I'm really glad you made it, Caleb. Thank you for saving my life. I'll pay you back, I promise."

Ryder puts his hand on my shoulder and squeezes.