22| Hesitation

vote | comment | follow

Alex didn't let the gravity of the moment overcome him.

He was never one to freeze up in fear or buffer when it came to making a split second decision, yet as another soft click came from the door he struggled to focus and not let the danger Ameena was suddenly neck deep in get to him.

With the grace of a lithe cat, he gently set the cup of steaming coffee down on the table and slowly backed away from the hallway heading towards the direction of her bedroom, feet softly sinking into the carpet until his back brushed the wooden door.

Silently he slipped in, firmly shutting the door. 

He had about a minute tops, to get prepared. Ameena's shitty lock couldn't withstand mafia technology.  Another 15 seconds and they'll be inside and for the rest of the minute, they'd silently file inside one by one.

The fact that they didn't barge in and rather chose to commence with a silent mission gave Alexander the advantage.

He wondered if his brother was with them but highly doubted it.

Alanzo wasn't a fool.

He closed and locked the door behind him, going straight for Ameena's closet, eyes barely glancing at the figure curled up under the sheets. Pushing aside her clothes, he withdrew a duffel bag he had discreetly hidden there out of her notice and quickly but silently dug everything out of it. He had unzipped the false bottom and withdrew a gun, ejecting the magazine to make sure it was loaded before snapping it back in.

Removing the suppressor, he twisted it in place while walking towards the door opening it wide enough to peer through the crack.

Times like this made him appreciate the simple yet complex design of Ameena's apartment. The kitchen was visible from his angle allowing him sight of the first man who was standing beside the window, using a gun to push aside a curtain peering out while speaking into his earpiece.

When he turned slightly, Alex shut his eyes and inhaled.

He knew the guy. Romano. One of Alanzo's newbie recruits fresh from Italy.

Did his brother underestimate him so much that he thought to send a fucking newbie?

Alex pursed his lips, thinking. Maybe it wasn't about underestimating but more about who's most disposable, this new guy would be collateral damage. Alonzo couldn't handle his well trained assassins dying off like flies.

Alexander didn't know if he was smart or just really dumb.

The man seemed to be alone, as if waiting, that is until Bianca entered his line of vision holding sipping on the cup of coffee he was drinking moments ago. She was wearing her usual baby doll pink crop top and white shorts that stopped just short of her ass, a rifle twisting in one hand. 

Stupid, stupid, Alonzo.

Five of them. Scouring the room, unaware that the person they were looking for was watching them zero gun in hand.

Or maybe they weren't looking for him.

"Why don't we just check the bedroom?" One of them hissed.

"Shut up," Bianca snapped sending a glare towards him, "We need to find it first, it must be somewhere around here."

"It could be in ther—"