three

— 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗥𝗘𝗘
( 𝘏𝘌𝘓𝘗. )

THE THREE sitting in the back hopped out as soon as the truck slowed to a stop. Glenn grabbed his bag and his gun, and began walking away, Tara right behind him. Murphy watched as he didn't look back.

Abraham, Rosita, and Eugene got out of the front and walked towards the back. Abraham sped up his steps, "Where the hell is he going? I don't know what your lady friend's told you about the special nature of the mission we're on, but this shit is time-sensitive, and we're already way behind schedule. So I need you to turn your ass around and get back in the truck."

He placed himself in front of Glenn, who stopped, looked him in the eye, and said, "I gotta go."

Abraham stopped him once more, "It seems like neither one of you has been paying close attention to the hell on earth we've been living in. So let me tell you how to best avoid winding up like another dead-alive prick. You find some strong, like-minded comrades and you stay stuck together like wet on water. We need people. The more the better. We need each other, partner. Even with all that gear on your shoulder, you won't last a night. Not by yourself."

Glenn sighed, "I'll take my chances."

Abraham set a hand on his chest, pushing him back, "I'm gonna have to insist that you hold the hell up."

"Abraham," Murphy warned, stepping forward.

"Believe it or not," Abraham continued. "The fate of the whole damn human race might depend on it."

Glenn stepped back, shoving his hands away, "What the hell are you talking about?"

He turned to Murphy, "Who the hell is this guy?"

"I'm Sergeant Abraham Ford," Abraham announced, and Murphy rolled her eyes at his introduction, "These are my companions. You've already met Murphy. That's Rosita Espinosa and Doctor Eugene Porter. We're on a mission to get Eugene to Washington, DC. Eugene's a scientist, and he knows exactly what caused this mess."

Glenn ran a hand through his hair, "Alright. So what happened?"

Eugene spoke up from the back, "It's classified."

Abraham continued, "He'd been talking to the muckety-mucks down in Washington on his satellite phone. The past couple of weeks, nobody's been picking up on the other end. We saw how you handled those corpses back there. We could use your help."

Glenn thought for a moment before turning, "I'm sorry."

Rosita scoffed, and Murphy gave her a glare. Tara jogged to catch up with Glenn and they began whispering to each other. Murphy, Rosita, and Abraham walked after them.

Abraham spoke up, "It's a waste of time. Tara told us what went down. There is zero chance you will ever find your wife again, alive or dead."

Murphy grabbed Abraham's arm and pulled him back, "Hey, you need to give it a rest. Let him go."

Abraham pulled his arm out of her grip and kept walking, "Mainly because, sorry to tell you, she's gone. No need for you to die too."

Glenn slowed to a stop and looked at the ground.

"Now come on," Abraham continued. "Get back in the truck. Do something with your life."

Glenn dropped his pack on the ground, and Murphy and Tara shared a look of confusion.

"When the people we love kick... well, they disappear. Doesn't mean you gotta go out that way too," Abraham finished. Glenn turned around slowly, then brought his fist back and punched Abraham so hard in the face that he crumpled to the ground.