Her New Butler?

The boy looked melancholic as his eyes darkened even more—lifeless and lost. Adira then promptly held his hands with a smack to snap him back to reality before he goes further down.

"You don't have to answer me. I'm sorry for asking you something like that. Anyway, let's get you cleaned up."

The little boy with dirty chocolate locks was frozen while Adira dragged him towards the bath and pushed him in. He glared at her furiously but when he saw and heard her happy laugh, it just melted away.

She was as warm as the bath prepared beforehand.

He guessed it was supposed to be hers since it smelled just like her strawberry and milk scent. It was a sweet and lovely scent.

After this, wouldn't he smell just like her? Just the thought of it was enough to make him feel a bit better.

"I'm sorry. You might not like strawberries and milk but I love them. And this was supposed to be for me but it seems you need it more."

Adira informed him as she squatted in front of him like a little puppy peering up at her owner from the edge of the tub.

She was incredibly and irresistibly cute.

"I.. don't mind." He answered softly. He was gradually melting down and he didn't even notice it.

This girl, who was as warm and as bright as sunshine, was unknowingly melting his heart.

Days passed and the boy, who introduced himself as Rhys, became Adira's butler. At first, it was a hard and difficult discussion to get his father to agree. But eventually, the duke gave in and allowed Rhys to serve Adira as a butler.

But it really was more like she adopted him as a playmate.

Rhys was gradually falling deeper for the girl the more he stayed by her side. And he cannot allow that. He cannot allow anything to stand in between him and his revenge.

So a few months after that, it was supposed to be another ordinary day for the both of them but Rhys suddenly had something he wanted to tell Adira.

"Adira, if I asked you to marry me someday, will you?"

Adira was taken off guard with his sudden proposal and thinking that it didn't matter who she married as long as it wasn't Triton, she nonchalantly yet vaguely answered,

"I don't mind. But nobles can only marry another noble or a royal. Else, I'll have to forfeit my place as the Sylveris heir." Though that doesn't sound all that bad.

Rhys was silent before standing behind Adira and covered her eyes. He didn't want her to see his eyes when he speaks about his darkness. He didn't want to scare her.

"Rhys?"

"I'm.. an orphan. I lost my family in a battle. We were only farmers and we lived on the outskirts of the fief. There was a battle and we were caught in the middle of it.

My father.. well, he picked up a sword to protect me and my mother. But a royal struck him down. They took everything from me.

We, who lived peacefully in that land, were slaughtered and tossed aside like livestocks that amounted to nothing more but mere peebles blocking their path."

Rhys narrated while Adira listened to him silently.

She didn't imagine the burden he's been carrying all along was as dark as this. She had no words to say. She cannot find anything that will somehow help him feel a bit better.

Rhys then finally took his hands off her eyes.

"So there you have it, that's my darkness. I don't—"

"It's okay, Rhys. I'm here. I'll always be here. I will always be your friend. I'll be here to listen and give you warmth whenever you need it. I'll pull you back everytime you're lost. You don't have to be afraid."

Adira cut him off as she engulfed him in a hug when she stood atop her chair and turned to him. Rhys was just a child lost in a storm of rage, pain and hatred. She knew that he just needed someone to stay beside him through it all.

She knew because she was once like that. But, she had a second chance and Rhys didn't. So if she can, she wanted to help and let him see the sunlight again.

"Adira.."

"You're leaving, aren't you? That's why you told me the pain you've been carrying all these time."

Adira guessed and Rhys remained silent. It was all she needed to know that she was indeed right. He was planning to leave her.

"Can you not leave?" Adira asked again. If anything, she didn't want to worry about him constantly knowing that he could fall down the wrong path anytime.

But even as she asked, Rhys still kept his silence. She could only infer his answer as,

"I need to go."

I need to if I want to take you as my wife. I'll come back for you, Adira. I'll come and fulfill this promise. If it's for you, then I can forego this hatred.

"We will meet again, Adira." He whispered and placed a kiss on her forehead when he gently parted away from her embrace.

And when we meet again, I'll be taking you as my wife and give you the glory you deserve.

...

The next day, after their talk, Rhys vanished and left the Sylveris Castle. Adira, who was staring outside her window dazed, heard the door push open and heard soft patters of footsteps drawing closer to her.

It was familiar to her.

"Adira, I'm back."

"Casey!! Since when did you return? Where were you? What the hell? You didn't tell me anything! I thought you hated me and didn't want to play with me anymore!" She ranted, feeling alive and happy again.

"I went on a school exchange program sponsored by the royalty. How are you? I heard you have a butler. Where is he?"

Casimir briefly explained and abruptly changed his question into his main concern. A boy just got close to his future wife! Of course he has to know!

"Mm. He left."

"Left?"

"Yes. Yesterday. I don't know where he went but he said we will see each other again."

Adira answered and the face she wore when he first entered returned to her face. Dazed and distracted.

"Is that why you're sad?"

"Mm. He was like the brother I never had. I didn't want him to leave but he did. I wonder if everyone will eventually leave me in the end."

"Not everyone." There's me.

"Really? Then Casey won't leave me as well? You'll stay with me forever?"

"Of course, if that's what you wish."

Casimir answered with a warm smile that was a stark contrast to his frozen face and Adira always loved seeing that. It was then that she thought,

Even if Casey's a common folk, I wouldn't mind forfeiting my position to marry this beauty at all.

While Roman on the sidelines thought,

Damn, this prince is so talkative when he's with this lady. So obvious, your highness.

Notes:
Hi! My darlings! We're on our way to 6K likes and 100k readers!!! Yaaaay! Banzaaaai! 🎉🎉🎉 Thank you so much for all your support and love! Let's keep it up! Lovelovelove!