chapter seventeen

C H A P T E R S E V E N T E E N
• • •

"You really think so?" I asked.

As he'd twirled his pen in his fingers, I'd told him the vague story of what Veronica had relayed to me. He leant back in his chair, thinking over my words.

Jamie all by lunged forward. "Please, the only way to understand what that frigid bitch was saying is to go to him!"

"Jamie," I said on a sigh. "She's not a frigid bitch, she's his sister."

"Right, right," he said, flapping his hands. "I got confused. So we don't hate her?"

"No."

"Sorry," he said as if she was here. "But come on, either you go and ask him to his face or you spend months worrying about it."

I let out a breath. "I guess you're right."

"As usual," he noted. "Now go before you change your mind! I'll book him in for the afternoon so John won't suspect anything. Seeing me not moving, he added, "I said go!"

"Will you give me a lift?"

His eyes lit up. "Yes, yes!"

♖ ♖ ♖

When we drove through the familiar woodland to Dreyton Manor and saw it materialise, just as regal as usual, my heart rate picked up. It was probably a little stupid just turning up to see him. I mean, what would I even say? Tell me your deepest darkest secrets right now! He'd laugh in my face and I wouldn't blame him for it.

Turning my attention away from the manor, I looked to Jamie. His eyes seemed to light up as we got closer. I imagined I'd had the same expression the first time I came, maybe I still did.

Those gates loomed over us as we approached. They opened before we'd even had the chance to buzz in. I didn't think much of it, preferring to waste my mental energy on stressing about what I'd say to Miller.

He parked his car in an empty space, looking a little out of place between a brand matching red and blue sports car.

We stayed inside it as I fiddled with my phone.

"Just text him," he said. "Or call. You should probably give him some warning."

"Or I could just wait for him naked in his office." When his eyes widened and he began to look like this was the best idea he'd even heard, I interjected. "I'm joking. Christ, Jamie."

"Don't look at me like that," he said, putting his hands up defensively. "I don't think he would be complaining if you actually did it."

I stared at my phone again. "What if we just—"

He groaned, pushing his head back into the headrest. "Can I have a look at that?" I frowned, holding it up. He snatched it from my hand.

"Don't you dare."

"Either you do it or I will."

I took it off him when he offered it. I knew his threat wasn't to be taken lightly, so quickly found Miller's name and typed out a text. Trying not to overthink it or cringe, I hit send.