Chapter 24

Sidney

It was strange, howling with a pack of wolves, but for some reason I couldn't help liking it. Somehow it felt like I had been missing it without knowing, all my life as a lone wolf. I wasn't sure how I felt about the sudden ache of longing in my chest but I shook it off as quickly as it came. I might not have a pack of my own but even if the boys wanted nothing to do with me after this run, I could still imagine tonight as having been a part of a real pack. It wasn't how my wolf wanted it, considering our natural instinct was to lead but that was not my place here and I knew it, for tonight we would just be one of the pack. 

Once the howls faded off into the night I scanned the group of males before letting my gaze focus in on the alpha male. The moment my eyes met his I saw a spark of challenge in his gaze as he gave a wolfish grin and took off at the head of the pack, leading a charge into the trees. I watched as the others immediately followed his lead, but I hesitated once more. I knew his look had challenged me to keep up, I knew I could easily do so, but what scared me was the unknown after. I growled at myself as I shook off those worries and charged into the trees after the boys, no matter what happened I wasn't going to let the unknown ruin my fun tonight.

 I quickly caught up to the boys at the back of the pack and nudged Fletcher with my nose as I kept pace between him and Gavin. I loved the feeling of the wind rushing through my fur, and the exhilarating excitement of racing through the forest, but I was the stubborn sort and I was getting tired of the others dust. I sent a look to both boys before I surged ahead further into the group of males, I brushed flanks with the others as I pushed past them. Micah nipped at me slightly as I wedged my way through him and Ash who sent a quiet and curious glace at me before leaning more into my side. 

The simple action had me being pushed into Micah's side as we struggled to keep our pace and not stumble over each other. Whether they knew it or not their wolves were trying to be a bit dominate with me and I was NOT going to tolerate becoming a sandwich between two flirtatious and annoying males. I gave one warning growl that had the lead wolves looking over their shoulders at us, Micah rumbled back at me and that was when I decided enough was enough.

 Without slowing down I lashed out at both boys with a growl, my teeth scraped over Asher's shoulder as he dodged my attack and backed off in respect. Then I let my fury loose on the red wolf at my side, I sunk my teeth into Micah's ear for a quick second as he yelped before pulling away and giving me the space I deserved. I picked up my pace to pass the rest of the pack and gain a spot amongst the dominant males, I saw Simon watching me as I settled into a steady pace beside him. It wasn't long before Beckett had run up on my other side to box me in, but they both gave me more space after watching my last little squeeze with their packmates.

 "Might as well drop back to the pups, you won't be able to keep up this pace forever little wolf." Beckett taunted me, I decided not to take offense to his comment this time. They didn't know I was as good with endurance as I was with speed, I wasn't even feeling winded yet. "Watch me." I sent back playfully as I lengthed my stride slightly and snorted at the look of surprise on the boys faces as I passed them up to run alongside the two top dogs. "You really are something else little one." Colton linked out as he gently brushed his flank against my own, keeping position right behind his alpha, I lolled out my tongue with a playful huff.

 It wasn't long before I sent a nip to Bowen's tail, he growled once before I lunged up to his side, leading the others right at his side. "How's this for keeping up, alpha B?" I linked, sending my playful excitement through the rest of them. I could hear the others behind us giving whines, yips and growls in response to my own joy of the run, knowing I was putting myself in equal footing with their alpha. I felt as much as saw his head turn to nip at me but I easily dodged him at our full speed with a playful yip, ha missed me.